Calvin’s insurance provider requires all drivers of university or rental agency vehicles — including personal vehicles for university business — must become an authorized driver, by completing an on-line defensive driving course as specified by the university, have a valid driver license with the correct classification for a minimum of two years, and a good driving record. All requirements must be complete before driving for the university.

Drivers must sign a Motor Vehicle Driving Release Form authorizing physical plant transportation to obtain a copy of his/her motor vehicle record (MVR). Upon receipt of the initial MVR, or subsequent MVR updates, physical plant transportation has the discretion to deny authorized driver status. A driver may be disqualified if he/she has more than two violations or incidents, or more than one major violation or incident, in the last three years.

Drivers using a personal vehicle for university-related travel must carry the following as minimum insurance coverage on their personal vehicle.

  • Liablity: $100,000 per person, $300,000 per occurrence.
  • Collision: Regular with a $500 deductible on the personal vehicle.

The above coverages are minimum levels drivers must have on their policy. Since drivers of personal vehicles have primary responsibility in case of an accident, drivers are advised to review their personal vehicle coverage with their insurance agent and consider carrying a higher liability with broad form collision coverage. Calvin maintains only secondary non-owned auto liability coverage to protect the university in case of accidents involving faculty and staff members using their own vehicles on university business (see also Travel Policies: Ground Transport/Car Rental).