Located in Pierson, MI—40 miles north of Grand Rapids—Waltman Lake Retreat and Learning Center offers 319 acres of forest, lakes, meadows, trails, wetlands, cabins, campsites, and lodges.
- Camp sites with table, fire pit, and bath houses available.
- RV sites with electric and water hook-up, fire pit, bath house nearby.
- Ten rustic cabins for up to eight guests.
- Explorers Lodge sleeps up to 20 guests. Ten bunk beds, private bathroom, shower, and common room.
- Hill Top Lodge sleeps up to 12 guests. Six bunk beds, private bathroom, and common room.
- Main Lodge sleeps up to 10 guests. Kitchen, dining room, bathrooms, common meeting space, indoor recreation area, and fireplace.
Frequently asked questions
- 1. Is the public allowed to rent the facilities?
- Waltman Lake is open to most groups; we do have a process in place to review each request to determine if the users content is consistent with Calvin College’s mission and philosophy.
- 2. Will there be other guests on the property during my rental?
- The entire camp can be rented by a single group for $1,000/night. This option ensures that a specific group has the entire property to themselves. Otherwise, buildings and sites are rented “per building/site, per night,” allowing multiple users on the property at the same time.
- 3. Where are the cooking/kitchen facilities?
- The commercial kitchen is located in the main lodge, and is only accessible by the group that has rented the main lodge. There are 5 charcoal grills located throughout the property. (User provided charcoal)
- 4. Are alcohol and firearms allowed on the property?
- No. Waltman Lake is an extension of the Calvin College main campus, therefore it abides by Calvin College’s rules and regulations.
- 5. Is firewood available for users?
- No. Renters provide their own firewood.
- 6. Are there boats/canoes available?
- Yes. Included in all rentals is use of the boats and canoes. Lifejackets are provided in the boathouse.
- 7. Is there internet access?
- No. However, most providers (Verizon, ATT, Sprint, etc.) offer strong cell coverage.
- 8. Are there bathrooms available for day pass users and renters of tents, RV and Rustic Cabin sites?
- Yes. Bathhouse #1, #2, and #3 are open for all users during the warm season.
- 9. Is the fishing “Catch and Release”?
- Yes; unless given prior approval.
- 10. Are custodial services provided by Calvin College?
- Yes and No. We ask that each user leaves the camp as they found it. Users are required to dispose of their garbage in the Calvin provided dumpster and leave the buildings clean and orderly. Calvin supplies cleaning products for this specific purpose. Calvin College maintains and supplies the 3 common bathhouses.
- 11. Are bed linens and pillows provided?
- No. Guests provide their own linens, pillows and towels.
- 12. Is Waltman Lake handicap accessible?
- Yes. The main lodge, Hill Top, Explorers and Rustic Cabin #5 are all accessible. Please note that many of the roads and pathways are either gravel or dirt and require care when walking.
- 13. Are credit cards accepted?
- Yes; with a 2% service charge. Call Event Services office at (616) 526-6280 for payment.
- 14. Can I set up a tour of the property?
- Yes, this is on a case-by-case basis and dependent on availability of staff during business hours.
- 15. Are pets allowed on premises?
- Yes, with prior approval and if animals are mild-mannered and remain on leash.
Download a map of Waltman Lake
Types of events
acres of woods and lakes.
number of lodges.
number of rustic cabins.
Features and amenities
- Flexible indoor seating
- 319 acres of forest, lakes, meadows, trails, etc.
- Wrap around deck
- Lakeside gathering area
- Wheelchair accessible
- Nearby parking
- Outdoor courtyard
- Access to canoes and boats