Help plan and lead worship
Curious about growing your worship leadership skills while you serve the Calvin community? Consider applying for the Worship Apprentice program.
Want to dive into everything it takes to lead and plan an effective worship service while you serve the Calvin community with your gifts? Explore this leadership development and mentoring program open to 6–8 students each year.
This intensive leadership development program is for singers and instrumentalists. It includes opportunities to plan the details of services, use drama and the visual arts to aid in worship and much more. Some of the roles Worship Apprentices play on campus include:
- engaging in prayerful planning and preparation for worship
- practicing public speaking in worship
- making use of drama in worship
- invigorating worship through the visual arts or dance
- supporting services through technology
- showing hospitality rooted in faith
- working with teams and administering worship-related projects
As a team of 6–8 students, you will collaborate to plan daily chapel services, LOFT services and other worship opportunities that arise throughout the year. The team environment provides plenty of support and encouragement as you are trained and challenged to grow in your leadership skills and faith.
If you’re a current student wishing to develop and explore your leadership gifts within the context of worship, you should apply. Applications are due in February of each year, interviews are held in late February or early March, and selections are made before spring break.
Worship Apprentices arrive two weeks before school starts for on-campus training. Training involves learning about worship in the Reformed context, planning and team building.
During the school year, you will spend an average of 10 hours each week working as a Worship Apprentice.
While you serve as a Worship Apprentice, we ask you to remain on campus for both semesters, interim and interim break. In January, you will assist at the Calvin Worship Symposium.
Basic duty of a Worship Apprentice
As a Worship Apprentice you will be asked to commit to completing specific tasks each semester. These tasks will vary according to your skills and personal goals. Tasks could include:
- basic office work (photocopying music, filing, email, etc.)
- leading and planning weekly worship
- constant, prayerful evaluation
- monthly mentoring and coaching
- team building (recruiting, training and spiritual leadership)
- meetings (at least 2/week)
Worship Apprentices receive an hourly wage totaling $2,400 per year or $1,200 per semester. This should free Apprentices from pursuing other work during the semester.