We provide one-on-one support for your academic and non-academic needs. We're available to help you with advising, academic strategies, contacting instructors and navigating Calvin's campus. Our goal is to support you from your first day on campus until graduation day with the resources and encouragement you need to be a successful student.
While questions concerning financial aid, visa issues, insurance and health services cannot be directly answered by the academic services staff, we can provide direct referrals to the appropriate staff.
What does AHANA mean at Calvin?
In 1979, students at Boston College coined the term AHANA (Asian,Hispanic/Latino, African, and Native American) as a way to celebrate cultural differences and claim solidarity for students of color. In this way, Calvin adopts the spirit of the term AHANA by acknowledging that you are more than a "minority" but rather you are a reflection of Christ and bring more than the color of your skin to our campus.
Are you an international student?
You may be an international student if you:
- hail from a country other than the United States or Canada,
- are an American citizen but have lived in other cultures/countries for extended periods of time,
- consider yourself Third Culture, having a home culture and second-home culture in addition to studying in the United States, or
- do not consider English as your native language.
Improve your English
We provide English language instruction to international students who need/choose to improve their writing for an American academic audience.
Services for international students may include:
- Writing classes: ENGL 100 and ENGL 102 are designed for international students who want help with American writing expectations and cultural concerns.
- Tutoring: Help is provided for most core requirement classes and many other 100- and 200-level courses.
- Academic counseling.
- Individual help: Students having academic or non-academic concerns regarding their experiences both in and outside of the classroom.
Visit our FAQ page or contact one of us.