Do you wonder how your unique gifts and callings might be of service in God’s world? Do you want to be part of a community of students from a wide variety of fields of study who explore together how your gifts intersect with the work of the church in service to God’s world?
The Ministry Leadership Fellows program, an initiative of the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, is a two-year program open to incoming Calvin students who show potential for leadership in the local church. Students in the Ministry Leadership Fellows cohort will explore how their gifts and interests intersect with the work of the church in service to God’s world by taking courses together, participating in signature learning experiences, and traveling on an all-expenses-paid spring break pilgrimage. The program culminates in a tuition-free online summer internship course. At the close of the program, Ministry Leadership Fellows will be well-positioned to complete a Congregational Ministry Studies minor or to apply for other ministry programs at Calvin.
You don’t have to be planning to enter vocational ministry to be considered for the Ministry Fellows Program. The Ministry Leadership Fellows cohort is comprised of students in a wide variety of majors who seek to explore how they can use their unique gifts to serve God.
- Students who are admitted to Calvin by December 1, 2018
- Students planning to enter Calvin College in fall 2019
- Students from any major who have an interest in exploring how to serve God with their unique gifts
If you wish to get involved with the Ministry Leadership Fellows at Calvin College, you will need to do two things:
1) Express your interest
Tell us a bit about yourself and why you're interested in the program.
2) Apply to Calvin
Complete Calvin's application early in order to be admitted by December 1. Without your application, you will not be considered for this program.
After you express interest in the program and complete your application to Calvin, here is what you can expect to happen:
- Invitations to attend the Ministry Leadership Fellows interview weekend, in conjunction with the Calvin Symposium on Worship, January 25-26, 2019, will be sent in December. The invitation will include a travel voucher to pay for part of your trip to Calvin if you live more than 150 miles from campus. Your housing and meals will be covered during the interview weekend.
- This invitation includes visiting campus to learn more about the program, to interview for a chance to be selected as a member of the Ministry Leadership Fellows cohort, and to participate in the Calvin Symposium on Worship.
- Prospective students will be asked to submit a recommendation from a pastor or ministry leader who can speak to the student’s interest and involvement in the church or non-profit ministry.
- Prospective students will be notified of their acceptance to the program in March 2019.
Program details and yearly schedule
Each year, a cohort of students are selected to form the Ministry Leadership Fellows. The program spans each student's first and second year at Calvin.
|Participate in Orientation & First-Year Seminar as a cohort||Learn about ministry and worldview in a ministry-focused Developing a Christian Mind course (required for all first-year students)||Participate in an all-expenses-paid Spring Break Pilgrimage exploring ways to live your unique identity and gifting to shape God’s world (priority for first-year students)|
|Take an introductory course with the cohort that builds identity as a Christian leader||Participate in the Worship Symposium, the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship’s key learning event with world-renowned theologians and ministry leaders|
|Participate in two signature learning experiences that deepen your experience of how God is working in the world||Participate in two signature learning experiences that deepen your experience of how God is working in the world|
|Celebrate being together again with an off-campus retreat as a cohort||Take a leadership role in the Worship Symposium||Participate in an all-expenses-paid Spring Break Pilgrimage (as space allows)|
|Take a course on church and society with your cohort and other interested students|
|Participate in two signature learning experiences that deepen your experience of how God is working in the world|
|Take a tuition-free summer course while participating in a ministry internship anywhere around the world|