JOHN PERKINS LEADERSHIP FELLOWS PROGRAM
John Perkins Leadership Fellow Program is a program for a group of first-generation college students who are becoming equipped to address our society’s biggest problems. If selected for this program, you will participate in a series of leadership development opportunities during your first two years of college. The Perkins Fellow program is a place where you can grow and learn about what it means to be a servant leader in your community, all while you pursue a college education.
RESIDENT ASSISTANT POSITION
The Resident Assistant lives in the residence hall and is responsible for providing supervision to Perkins participants. The Resident Assistant strives to foster Christian community that is conducive to and assists in the academic, social and spiritual development of Perkins students. He or she does this by: developing relationships with Perkins students; striving to be a role model and mentor; supporting the academic work of Perkins students; assisting in the development and implementation of activities intended for spiritual growth, identity formation and community life; and enforcing college rules and regulations.
Resident Assistants must be on campus by June 29, 2018 at noon to continue orientation and begin preparing the residence hall for Perkins students.
Throughout the entire program, July 6–August 2, 2018, Resident Assistants are on duty at all times including weekends. Resident Assistants are done with their commitment on August 3, 2018 at 12 noon. Resident Assistants are involved in community life evening and weekend programming. Residents Assistants work together with the Resident Director to plan and implement spiritual and personal development programming as well as weekend activities. Each Resident Assistant is expected to attend all community life programming and encourage active student participation. Please note that if you are selected as RA, you will not be allowed to have visitors.
Resident Assistants work with the Resident Director to help participants develop effective approaches to studying, time management and general study behaviors.
A Resident Assistant serves as a resource to participants, advising students on concerns that arise during the course of the program and consulting with the Program Directors to evaluate students’ needs.
- Appreciation for the Perkins Program and Calvin College
- Commitment to Christ
- Willingness to learn and receive direction
- Be in good academic and conduct standing with the college at the time of application and the end of the 2018 Spring semester (minimum of a 2.5 GPA)
- Limit additional extra-curricular activities and employment during the program
- Driver’s license (please note that you will be required to drive a 12 passenger van)
- Applicants currently in their sophomore, junior, or senior year at Calvin. Prior experience working in a team setting and/or leadership position
- Prior experience living in a residence hall
Perkins Resident Assistants will receive a financial stipend of $1,850 and receive free room and board for the duration of the Perkins Program.
APPLICATION / SELECTION PROCESS
Applications and Recommendation form are due Friday, March 2, 2018
Interviews will be held the week of March 12–March 19, 2018
After the interview week
- Perkins Program Staff will meet to discuss your application, interview, and qualifications, and will review other input about you being a resident assistant.
- You will be notified by the selection committee informing you that you have or have not been selected to serve as a resident assistant for the summer of 2018.
If you have any questions regarding the Resident Assistant position or the Perkins Program, please contact Nygil Likely at email@example.com or (616) 526-6749.