The Calvin Research Fellows program is a competitive opportunity available to talented and motivated first-year students who seek to take part in research with Calvin professors.
Calvin professors are active researchers as well as committed teachers. They write books and articles. They collaborate with scholars across the country and around the world. And they present their findings at academic meetings, in the media, and as consultants to non-profit organizations, government agencies, and businesses.
One of the unique features of research at Calvin is the important role that students have in the process of investigation and discovery. Each semester and throughout the summer, Calvin students work in the college’s laboratories, libraries, and research centers. Some even do research off campus – in local waterways, at the Lake Michigan dunes, in area churches and community centers, and more.
Whether you plan to study neuroscience or political science, biochemistry or history, physics or linguistics, if you’re thinking of a career that involves research work, then the Calvin Research Fellows program is the ideal opportunity for you. You’ll get hands-on experience, alongside professors who are experts in their fields. You’ll gain training in specialized investigation and analysis, giving you the skills you need for graduate school or your future career. And you’ll learn how the work of research fulfills our calling to serve God with our whole mind.
Benefits of the program
Each student who is selected to be a Calvin Research Fellow will receive:
- The opportunity to serve as a research assistant at Calvin – with an individual professor, or at one of the college’s research centers – and earn a stipend of $4000 for a summer or an academic year.
- A $1000 voucher to use on one of Calvin’s off-campus semester programs ($800 for an interim program).
- Up to $500 reimbursement for travel related to research (e.g., travel to an academic conference or on-site research) or travel related to professional development (e.g., travel to a summer internship).
- Priority admission to live in one of the Living-Learning Communities in the Calvin residence halls if the student chooses.
- Special events during your first year, including dinner with Calvin President Michael Le Roy.
Calvin Research Fellows are motivated first-year students with strong academic records, as shown in their high school GPA and test scores, who are selected after an interview with professors on the Calvin campus.
If the selection committee identifies you as a candidate, you will be invited to attend the Research Fellows Preview Weekend in February (a $250 travel voucher will be provided). During the weekend, you will have the opportunity to interview for the Calvin Research Fellows program. Twenty participants from this weekend event will be awarded the research fellowship and invited to participate in the program.
You may also fill out the application form below (available until January 1, 2018). Please note that applicants to the Calvin Research Fellows must be admitted to Calvin College as a full-time student no later than January 1, 2018