Welcome to Calvin! In college, the potential to engage in amazing learning lies around every corner, but adjusting to this new context is not always easy. First Year Seminar (commonly called FYS) is a one credit course taken by first year students to aid in the transition to university life and learning.
What can you expect?
- Your class will be made up of friends from your orientation group for an added sense of community.
- A professor excited to walk these early weeks alongside you will teach your course.
- A one-on-one meeting with your professor will help address questions and jump-start your personal connections to Calvin faculty.
- Older students will share advice and tell stories about their early experiences at Calvin.
- Assignments will help you reflect on what it means to be a Calvin student and you'll get support tailored to you by choosing from a variety of talks and events aimed at helping you feel connected here.