Mileage Reimbursement Policy
Use of a personal vehicle for official Calvin business will be remunerated on a per mile basis at the rate established by the IRS. Notification of periodic rate changes will be made through Calvin News by the Controller.
Mileage Reimbursement Procedure
- Obtain verbal approval from the budget officer (or supervisor if the purchaser is the budget officer) prior to using personal vehicle for College business.
- Complete a Travel Expense Report according to instructions on the reverse side of the form.
- Indicate the starting location and destination as well as the total miles traveled. Also indicate the general ledger account(s) (x-x-xxxxx-xxxxx) to be charged for each line item listed on the requisition. This should be done in consultation with the budget officer. In the event that a mileage reimbursement exceeding $25.00 is requested without supporting documentation, the divisional vice president/dean must also sign. Please note: IRS regulations state that failure to submit supporting documentation requires the employer to report the transaction on the employee's W-2 as wages.
- Sign name at bottom of the Travel Expense Report. An original signature is required. No stamps are permitted.
- Obtain budget officer's signature on the Travel Expense Report. If the budget officer is the purchaser , then the budget officer's supervisor should provide the second signature.
- Submit the Travel Expense Report to Accounts Payable in the Financial Services Office. The check will generally be ready by 1:00 p.m. of the day following receipt of the request form. The check will be distributed per the requisitioner's instructions on the form. If the check is required within a tight time-frame, it is advisable to hand deliver the reimbursement form to Accounts Payable. Again, the check will be written the day after the form is received by Accounts Payable.
View the Glossary of Terms and Miscellaneous Information.