Through discussion, research, courses, presentations and publications, Jo-Ann and Debra have been inviting educators to deepen and extend theological, biblical, educational and pedagogical connections regarding sacred learning spaces.
Summit Designer Educators
Debra Paxton-Buursma, PhD has researched, published, and taught about pedagogy, diversity, and justice focusing on creating accessible, responsive, and culturally relevant learning environments. Debra explores how semiotics (text, actions, objects) & creative art forms (music, drama, poetry) promote inclusive learning & spiritual development.
Jo-Ann VanReeuwyk, MA in Art Education and MFA, brings expertise in education and the powerful role of visual arts in learning. As a nationally recognized educator and international fiber artist, she uses natural and alternative visual materials to explore and reveal God glimmers in the intertwining of sanctuary, teaching, & learning.
Guest Scholar Educators
On-Line & On-Site participation with:
Dr. Rukshan Fernando
- Dr. Fernando is Associate Dean and Professor as well as interim Head of University Libraries at the School of Behavioral and Applied Sciences, Azusa Pacific University. He is passionate about creating transformative, learner-centered environments so that all can experience human flourishing.
Dr. Dorothea Hawthorne
- Dr. Hawthorne teaches literature, writing, and Honors humanities at Mount Vernon Nazarene University where she also chairs the Department of English and Modern Languages and writes curriculum for the University Core.
On-Site Session participation with:
Dr. Gail Gunst Heffner
- Dr. Gail Gunst Heffner is a faculty member at Calvin University and currently serves as the Director of Community Engagement in the Office of the Provost. Gail Heffner and Dave Warners co-founded and co-direct Plaster Creek Stewards, a watershed restoration initiative. Her PhD is in Urban Studies and Resource Development from Michigan State University.
Dr. Michelle Loyd-Paige
- Dr. Loyd-Paige is Vice President at Calvin University for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Dr. Schaefer teaches Economics at Calvin University, has served as fellow in the Calvin Teaching Learning Network and has an M.Div. degree from Calvin Theological Seminary.