Student News Guidelines
- Applies to:
- Full-time faculty
- Current Students
- Approved by:
- Student Life
- Last updated: November 7, 2019
The Student-news listserv is a service of Student Life. Student News is a daily email where announcements, news briefs and information of interest to the student body can be found.
A list of all previous Student News can be found here.
- To subscribe to student-news, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the words subscribe student-news in the body of the message (not the subject).
- Students are automatically added to Student News and may not unsubscribe because Calvin will be sending official notices in Student News.
- If you are not a student, but are interested in receiving student news, you can send an email email@example.com with the words "subscribe student-news" in the body of the message (not the subject). If you no longer wish to receive student-news, simply send "unsubscribe student-news" in the message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduated students will no longer receive student-news automatically, but can opt-in using the directions above.
- Student news runs every weekday during school sessions.
- Additional distribution take place at the list administrator's discretion.
- Emergency distribution may take place at any time, and emergency announcements shall be distributed by themselves in a separate digest of student-news.
- During summer and school breaks distribution will be on a weekly or as-needed basis.
- Mail it to email@example.com.
- Must be in plain text format.
- Do not send attachments.
- Deadline is 3 p.m. in order to be run the next day.
- Please, do not send announcements on the weekends (they will be ignored).
- Do not send your announcement as a part of or with a CC, BCC, or as a forward.
- Do not send notes, comments, or correction instructions to the student news address (will most likely be ignored, but they may also accidentally be submitted for the digest).
- All submissions must have an affiliation with a department, student organization, or faculty and staff advisor at Calvin. This must be made clear in the announcement.
The following categories will be considered allowable submissions.
- Any official information from Calvin University to the student body.
- Emergency announcements from administrators, faculty, or students.
- Submissions regarding lost or stolen property will be allowed to run once only after the individual has conducted a thorough search for the item and contacted Campus Safety to report it missing.
The following categories will not be accepted.
Advertisements or solicitations for profit, including classifieds, for-sale ads, commercial advertisements, roommate requests, etc. including on-campus organizations and institutions. Any type of forward, bulk mail, or “informational” e-mail not pertaining to Calvin University directly. Any posting that draws attention in a decidedly non-neutral fashion to events or persons on or off campus (i.e. political announcements). Department-specific announcements intended solely for students of that department.
Any posting that contains offensive language, content, or themes.
To have an announcement run again it must be re-submitted . Chapel announcements will be allowed to appear daily. Multiple submissions pertaining to the same event will not be allowed.
All announcements must be kept to less than 100 words , or risk being edited by the list administrator. Spelling and grammar will not be checked so make sure your announcement is correct when you send it in. If you are adding a link with your announcement make sure you add http:// in front of it. Format will be determined by the list administrator in cooperation with Calvin Information Technology.
- Departments and offices
- Course code: