Yoon G. Kim
D.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, Washington University in St. Louis, MO, 2005
B.S. in Electronic Engineering, Hanyang University (Korea), 1987
Professor Kim obtained his Doctor of Science degree at Washington University in St. Louis in 2005, during which he studied computer networks focusing on self-similar (fractal) packet network traffic using Fractal Random Processes.
Dr. Kim joined the faculty of Calvin College in 2011 after teaching computer engineering for seven years in Virginia as a tenured Associate Professor. Prior to that, he had eleven (11) years of industry R & D experiences in the areas of telecommunications and embedded systems at LG Electronics, KETI, and another company. During his industrial career, he developed and commercialized telecommunications systems, Hybrid Fiber-Coaxial network systems, and data acquisition systems. Professor Kim was a Principal Investigator of the project funded by the IEEE Foundation in 2010. He has consulted with Jaspur Communications Inc. in St. Louis, the University of Utah, and Echo Design in Grand Rapids.
Professor Kim has been doing outreach abroad to Peru during the summers. He has been going on short-term mission trips every summer since 2005. In summer 2009, he began to collaborate with the Vice President and faculty member at the Universidad Nacional de Trujillo (UNT) and Universidad Privada Antenor Orrego (UPAO) in Trujillo, Peru. In 2010, 2011 and 2013 he volunteered to teach a microcontroller course for four hours every day during four weeks at the UNT and met 20-30 Peruvian junior and senior students. He also taught a mobile robotic systems course to build quadcopters at the UPAO in 2015. As a Christian, Dr. Kim believes that is our privilege to use our God-given talents to love our neighbors through our careers.
- Full Professor (tenured), Engineering Dept., Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), Calvin College, Michigan (2018 ~ Present)
- Associate Professor, Engineering Dept., Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), Calvin College, Michigan (2011 ~ 2018)
- Associate Professor (tenured), Dept. of Engineering and Tech., Computer Engineering, Virginia State University, Virginia (2009 ~ 2011)
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Engineering and Tech., Computer Engineering, Virginia State University, Virginia (2004 ~ 2009)
- Eleven years of industry R&D experiences in electrical and computer engineering (1987 ~ 1998)
- Solar Simulators and High Power LED Applications
- Wireless Sensor Networks
- Mobile Robotic Systems
- Course code:
Professor Kim has published technical papers in the areas of high power LED drivers/applications, computer networking, including wireless sensor networks and packet data traffic analysis.
- Yoon Kim and Reuben Lewis, “Modeling and simulation of a solar simulator with multi-wavelength high-power LEDs”, Sixteenth Int’l Conf. on Solid State Lighting and LED-based Illumination Systems, In of Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) Vol. 10378, 10378‐28 (2017), San Diego, CA, Aug. 2017
- Yoon Kim and Shurjo Maitra, “Design of a portable demonstration unit of solar power systems for analog electronics courses,” In of the 2017 American Society of Engineering (ASEE) Annual Conference, Columbus, OH, June 2017
- Yoon Kim and David Dadzie, “Microcontroller-controlled constant current DC-DC converter modules for driving a multi-wavelength LED array,” In of the 2017IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), Toronto, Canada, March 2017, pp. 141-146
- Course code: