- B.A. Beijing Normal University 1981 (Chinese language and literature)
- all M.A. course work Calvin College 1989 (Education)
- Instructor of Chinese, Calvin College (1999-present)
- Editor, Beijing Law Journal (1982-1986)
Cats, travel, cats, gardening, cats.
Her husband, Larry Herzberg, teaches the lower level Chinese language courses at Calvin and is her collaborator for books and documentary films on China and the Chinese language.
- Language pedagogy: teaching Chinese language and culture
- Writing books on Chinese language and culture for both students and the general public
- Making documentary films on China today for the general public
- Course code:
- Co-Author of "Chinese Proverbs: A Window on Chinese Thought and Culture" (Stone Bridge Press, 2011)
- Co-Author of "Basic Patterns of Chinese Grammar: A Student's Guide to Correct Structures and Common Errors" (Stone Bridge Press, 2010)
- Co-Author of "China Survival Guide: How to Avoid Travel Troubles and Mortifying Mishaps" (Stone Bridge Press, 2008; revised edition, 2011)
- Produced documentary film on China today (63-minute DVD) entitled "China Today: Issues that Trouble Americans at the Start of the 21st Century" (Calvin Media Foundation, 2008)
Other Professional Work
- English translator of Chinese children's books for Beijing publishing companies
- Author of numerous articles for the "World Journal" (Chinese newspaper for N. America)
- Chinese translator for various companies in West Michigan that deal with China
- Private lessons in Mandarin Chinese for area businessmen, parents of adopted Chinese children, etc.
Please note: editing your profile is temporarily unavailable for maintenance. If you have an edit to make please contact Communications and Marketing.
- Course code: