Professor Klatt received a bachelor of arts in English from Wittenberg University in 1984 and a masters of divinity from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in 1991. He then went on to earn a masters of arts in liberal arts from St. John's College in 1998. He received his PhD in English from the University of Georgia in 2003 with the dissertation topic, "The God is Blue: a Collection of Original Poems with a Manifesto." He taught in the English department at Calvin College from 2004 to 2006 and returned again to teach in 2007.
Professor Klatt is a poet, publishing his poetry in numerous magazines and publications, including the Colorado Review, Boston Review, New Orleans Review, and Verse. His essay "The Electric Whitman" was published in the Spring 2008 edition of The Southern Review. He won the Juniper Prize for his collection of poems, Interloper (2009), and his most recent book of poetry, Cloud of Ink, has won the Iowa Poetry Prize.
- Listen to a podcast from The Common, where Professor Klatt is in conversation with poet Oliver de la Paz
- Read one of his poems in Blackbird, The Michigan Poet, or on the blog “As It Ought To Be”
- Read a micro-essay where Professor Klatt glosses Wallace Stevens’s poem “Of the Surface of Things” for Poetry Daily
- Here is an interview with Professor Klatt conducted by MLive
- Read more of Professor Klatt's poems
- American literature
- postmodern American poetry and poetics
- creative writing (poetry)
- ENGL-220 - Survey of American Lit I
- ENGL-221 - Survey of American Literature II
- ENGL-260 - The Craft of Writing
- ENGL-362 - Creative Writing
- Course code:
- Juniper Prize for his collection of poems, Interloper (2009)
- Iowa Poetry Prize for his collection of poems, Cloud of Ink (2010)
- Poet Laureate of Grand Rapids, Michigan (2014-2017)
In the news
Being Brave, Being Faithful
The Calvin community embraces the discipline and delight of poetry
Please note: editing your profile is temporarily unavailable for maintenance. If you have an edit to make please contact Communications and Marketing.
- Course code: