- BS, Drexel University, 1998
- PhD, John Hopkins University, 2004
- Research Assistant, SmithKline Beechem Pharmaceuticals, 1994-1995
- Research Intern, McNeil Consumer Product Company, 1995-1996
- Post-doctoral fellow, Johns Hopkins University 2004-2005
- Adjunct professor of biology, Washington Bible College, 2005
- Assistant Professor, Calvin College, 2005-2011
- Associate Professor, Calvin college, 2011-present
Dr. Shen has ongoing research studying latent reservoirs of HIV infection. She is investigating the mechanisms of how the reservoirs are formed and potential ways to remove the latent reservoir. Her newest work involves the role of Endothelial cells in HIV latent reservoir in T cells. Read more about Professor Shen's HIV research with students.
Dr. Shen is a member of the Madison Square Christian Reformed Church and the Grand Rapids Chinese Christian church.She enjoys music and worship, traveling, photography, and playing volleyball and tennis.
Research and Professional Interests
- HIV biology
- T cell immunology
- Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- BIOL-141 - Cell Biology and Genetics for Health Sci
- BIOL-141L - Cell Biology and Genetics Lab
- BIOL-207 - Medical Microbiology
- BIOL-207L - Medical Microbiology Lab
- BIOL-224H - Honors Colloquium in Cell & Genetic Syst
- BIOL-333 - Immunology and Hematology
- BIOL-333L - Immunology and Hematology Lab
- Course code:
Research and scholarship
Dr. Shen's ongoing research studies latent reservoirs of HIV infection. She is investigating the mechanisms of how reservoirs are formed and potential ways to remove the latent reservoir. Her latest work involves investigating the roles of endothelial cells in HIV infection and latency in resting CD4+ T cells. Read more about Professor Shen's HIV research with students.
- Morris JH, Nguyen T, Nwadike A, Geels M, Kamp D, Kim BR, Boyer JD, Shen A. “Soluble Factors Secreted by Endothelial Cells Allow for Productive and Latent HIV-1 Infection in Resting CD4+ T cells.” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. 2016 Sep 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Anding Shen, Jacob J. Baker, Geoffrey L. Scott, Yelena P. Davis, Yen-Yi Ho, and Robert F. Siliciano, 2013 “Endothelial Cell Stimulation Overcomes Restriction and Promotes Productive and Latent HIV-1 Infection of Resting CD4+ T Cells.” Journal of Virology 87(17):9768-79.
- Yin J, Dai A, Shen A, Lecureux J, Lewis MG, Boyer JD, 2010 “Viral reservoir is suppressed but not eliminated by CD8 vaccine specific lymphocytes.” Vaccine 28(8):1924-31.
- Yang HC, Xing S, Shan L, O’Connell K, Dinoso J, Shen A, Zhou Y, Shrum CK, Han Y, Liu JO, Zhang H,
Margolick JB, and Siliciano RF, 2009"A Primary Cell Model of HIV Latency Identifies Compounds that Reverse Latency without Cellular Activation" Journal of Clinical Investigation 119(11):3473-86
- Yin J, Dai A, Kutzler MA, Shen A, Lecureux J, Lewis MG, Waldmann T, Weiner DB, Boyer JD. 2008 “Sustained suppression of SHIV89.6P replication in macaques by vaccine-induced CD8+ memory T cells” AIDS. 22(14):1739-48.
- Halwani R, Boyer JD, Yassine-Diab B, Haddad EK, Robinson TM, Kumar S, Parkinson R, Wu L, Sidhu MK, Phillipson-Weiner R, Pavlakis GN, Felber BK, Lewis MG, Shen A, Siliciano RF, Weiner DB, Sekaly RP. 2008 “Therapeutic vaccination with simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV)-DNA+IL-12 or IL-15 induces distinct CD8 memory subsets in SIV-infected macaques.” Journal of Immunology. 180(12):7969-79.
Is this you? Login to edit.
- Off-campus programs:
- Student organizations:
- Course code: