International Students

Coronavirus Information Center / International Students

We realize that the ongoing COVID-19 situation places a particular burden of uncertainty on international Calvin students. Below, we've gathered answers to common questions from international students—both new, incoming students, and current Calvin students.

Questions from incoming international students

How is Calvin supporting incoming/enrolling students for fall 2020?
Calvin’s admissions team is making additional considerations to help alleviate some concerns about the application process. Further questions may be directed to the Calvin University International Admissions Office at

I am worried that the U.S. consulate will not be open in time to apply for a student visa.
We understand that this can be a stressful situation that is constantly changing. For now, we ask that you keep checking back for when the consulate will be open and then book the earliest possible appointment. Please keep communicating with your admissions counselor for more information.

My school is not open, and I cannot obtain an official transcript or final testing from my country.
For now, we will accept an unofficial transcript for application review. Once you can obtain the official transcript, please send it to your admissions counselor.

Questions from current Calvin students

I’m an international student who cannot easily return home. What options do I have?
Calvin will assist international students who are unable to return home and need to remain in on-campus housing throughout the semester. International students seeking permission to stay in on campus housing must complete the Petition Form in order to be considered for an exception to live on campus through the end of the spring semester (May 21).

Can international students continue their studies online from outside the United States?
The Department of Homeland Security and ICE agency have released the following policy change: International students are now permitted to continue their studies via online classes outside of the United States. This means that international students may complete the spring semester either here in the U.S. or choose to return to their home country without any conflict to their immigration status.

I’m an international student who wants to travel home. What do I need to do this?
If you are an international student who chooses to depart the U.S., you must ensure that you have a signed I-20 with a valid travel signature. If you have questions about this requirement or any concern related to international student services, please email Brent Wilkinson at or Tara Braun at

I’m traveling outside the United States, but have special medical needs. What support does Calvin provide?
If you are traveling to a location outside the United States, we want to help you with any medical needs as you transition to care from your local provider. If you are currently taking any prescriptions, please contact Health Services for a refill before your departure. We also encourage you to stay in touch with us through the secure patient portal.


The latest sights & sounds | #calvinuniversity