Connect. Collaborate. Create.
The Artist Collaborative is a two-year program open to incoming students who possess a holistic appreciation for and involvement in the arts (visual, performing, and written)*. The program fosters a collaborative approach to art making and creative problem-solving. Through courses, activities, and an interim trip to an arts destination in the U.S. or abroad, you will explore your calling as a creative in the twenty-first century.
Program features and benefits
- Receive a travel voucher to cover the cost of traveling for an Artist Collaborative exclusive interim course.
(Interim destinations may change—cohorts have traveled to Indonesia and Northern Ireland in the past. The 2020 interim trip will be to Northern Ireland.)
- As part of a group of students with similar interests, explore faith, vocation, and your calling. Together, you'll study topics such as arts and social justice, visual culture, entrepreneurship, creative thinking, and leadership.
- Collaborate with other members of the cohort to create, perform, and exhibit work that makes meaningful contributions to pressing issues both locally and globally.
- Connect to the vibrant art scene in Grand Rapids. Programming possibilities include field trips, films, performances, exhibitions, open studio nights, and cohort gatherings.
- You must be admitted to Calvin by February 1, 2020.
- High school seniors planning to enter Calvin University in fall 2020.
- Students who wish to participate in arts activities while at Calvin or who intend to study in arts-related academic programs such as art, creative writing, graphic design, dance, film and media, music, and theatre.
If you wish to get involved with the Artist Collaborative at Calvin University, you will need to do two things:
1) Express your interest
Tell us a bit about yourself and why you're interested in the program.
2) Apply to Calvin
Complete Calvin's application early in order to be admitted by February 1. Without your application, you will not be considered for this program.
After you express interest in the program and complete your application to Calvin, here is what you can expect to happen:
- Invitations to attend an Artist Collaborative interview weekend on March 13–14, 2020 will be sent in early February. The invitation will include a travel voucher to pay for part of your trip to Calvin if you live more than 150 miles from campus. You will have the option to stay on campus.
- This invitation includes visiting campus to learn more about the program and to interview for the opportunity be selected as an Artist Collaborative member.
- Prospective students will be notified of their acceptance to the program by early April 2020. Students not invited to participate will be put on a waiting list for the Artist Collaborative program.
Each year, 24 students are selected to form a new Artist Collaborative cohort. The program spans each student's first and second year at Calvin.
|Fall Semester / Interim||Fall Semester / Interim|
|Enroll in a one-credit First-Year Seminar course that is reserved for Artist Collaborative members. All first-year students are required to take this course||Attend two arts-focused events with other Collaborative members|
|Enroll in a required DCM (Developing a Christian Mind) course in preparation for the cohort's interim trip||The option to travel with the Collaborative during interim|
|Spring Semester||Spring Semester|
|Enroll in a Visual Arts course reserved for Artist Collaborative members. This course will satisfy one of your 'core' (general education) requirements||Presentations of creative and collaborative work completed with other members of the cohort|
|Attend two arts-focused events with other Collaborative members|
|Help welcome and host prospective Artist Collaboratives during the preview weekend!|
*You don't have to be planning to major in an art-related subject to be considered for the Artist Collaborative. You only need to indicate an interest in the arts on your application to be considered for the program.