Connect. Collaborate. Create.
The Artist Collaborative is a program for first-year students who are interested in the arts, collaboration and leadership*. Through courses, activities and an interim trip to an arts destination in the U.S. or abroad, you will explore your calling as an artist in the twenty-first century.
Program features and benefits
- Receive a travel voucher to cover the cost of traveling to Indonesia for an Artist Collaborative exclusive interim course.
- Prepare for a vocation by studying topics such as entrepreneurship, creative thinking, arts leadership/advocacy and arts collaboration.
- Collaborate with other members of the Artist Collaborative to create art that makes meaningful contributions to pressing and current issues both locally and globally.
- Connect to the growing art scene in Grand Rapids by attending arts events in the community.
- You must be admitted to Calvin by February 1, 2017.
- High school seniors planning to enter Calvin College in fall 2017.
- Prospective students interested in arts-related activities or academic programs such as art, graphic design, architecture, dance, film and media, music and theatre on your application.
If you wish to get involved with the Artist Collaborative at Calvin College, you will need to do two things:
1) Express your interest
Tell us a bit about yourself and why you're interested in the program.
2) Apply to Calvin
Complete Calvin's application early in order to be admitted by February 1. Without your application, you will not be considered for this program.
After you express interest in the program and complete your application to Calvin, here is what you can expect to happen:
- Invitations to attend an Artist Collaborative interview weekend in March 2017 will be sent in early or mid-February. The invitation will include a travel voucher to pay for part of your trip to Calvin if you live more than 150 miles from campus. You will have the option to stay on campus.
- This invitation includes visiting campus to learn more about the program and to interview for a chance to be selected as an Artist Collaborative member.
- Prospective students will be notified of their acceptance to the program in April 2017. Students not invited to participate in the program will be put on a waiting list.
Each year, 25 students are selected to form a new Artist Collaborative. The program spans each student's first and second year at Calvin.
|Fall Semester / Interim||Fall Semester / Interim||Fall and Spring Semesters|
|Enroll in an interim DCM course, Truth and Reconciliation: The Artist Response I. This course focuses on entrepreneurship, leadership and the arts||Attend training and information meetings (2-3) for Interim excursion||Collaborate with others to create and showcase artwork. This can include any arts media and collaborators of your choice|
|Attend two arts-focused events with other Collaborative members||Interim: Truth and Reconciliation: The Artist Response II (in Indonesia) or a designated arts-related interim in the United States|
|Spring Semester||Spring Semester|
|Enroll in ART-153 Visual Culture||Attend Artist Collaborative Events|
|Attend two arts-focused events||Showcase your art with members of the Artist Collaborative|
|Meet new Artist Collaborative cohorts!|
*You don't have to be planning to major in an art-related subject to be considered for the Artist Collaborative. You only need to indicate an interest in the arts on your application to be considered for the program.