Formerly Knollcrest Band, Symphonic Band is one of two Calvin ensembles devoted to the combination of woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments.
Unlike Wind Ensemble which adheres to the model of a smaller, more flexible instrumentation, Symphonic Band assumes the role of a larger ensemble. Nonetheless, Symphonic Band members constantly strive to achieve musical excellence in the performance of both traditional and contemporary concert band repertoire. In addition to regular concerts on campus, Symphonic Band typically performs in an area church and/or school each semester.
Symphonic Band membership is open to all Calvin students who have had previous high school experience and wish to participate.
Symphonic Band rehearses Thursdays from 7:00–9:30 p.m.
Explore Symphonic Band
Professor Derald De Young started another concert ensemble, Knollcrest Band, in 1980. With this addition, Calvin became the only private university in Michigan to have a completely separate and independent second concert band. In 2009, Knollcrest Band changed its name to Symphonic Band, a title that better reflected its purpose and function. Symphonic Band offers the opportunity for every student with high school experience to make music at Calvin.
All interested students must complete an audition.
Scheduling is coordinated by the conductor at the beginning of each semester.
Audition requirements include:
- A prepared piece (solo or etude of contrasting styles, not to exceed six minutes in length)
- Literature excerpts (distributed by the conductor in advance)
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.