Graduate with broad musical skills, confidence in your abilities, and expertise in your specific interests. Calvin has the kinds of wide-ranging opportunities that big schools have—plus a community that will know you and encourage you to excel.
While you’re mastering your craft, you’re also being equipped for the future. Calvin music major graduates go on to study music in graduate school and perform as professional musicians. They also work in many fields, like computer programming, communication, law, and medicine.
That’s because at Calvin, you’ll learn how to combine creativity and precision—in classrooms, in worship, in live performances. You’ll be ready to lead, whether at the conductor’s stand or in a totally different field.
Calvin’s liberal arts program in music is designed to provide breadth of general studies combined with studies in musicianship and an area of emphasis in music.
Becoming a music major
Step One: Discuss the requirements for majoring in music with a faculty member.
If you were not assigned a music advisor during PASSPORT and would like to have one, submit a Change of Advisor form to the registrar's office.
Step Two: During your first year of study (two semesters) complete the following:
- Overall GPA of at least 2.5
- A grade of C or better in MUSC 100 Music Theory I: Fundamentals in Global Context
- A grade of C or better in two semesters of MUSC 260 Private Lessons for Credit (in the student's principal area of performance)
Note: Students who wish to do the performance emphasis must also pass an approval jury, usually at the end of the spring semester of their sophomore year.
You can afford a Calvin education.
You’ve heard a lot about the high cost of a university education. But a Calvin education is much more affordable than you think. Most Calvin students pay far below the sticker price—and graduate with less debt than you might expect.
A reputation for excellence.
There’s a reason Calvin gets top marks from U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and more. Calvin graduates are in demand at grad schools, med schools, and careers in every field.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.