MA in Speech-Language Pathology
Program Requirements & Opportunities
Speech pathology and audiology is an exciting and growing field. At Calvin, you'll work in our clinics providing care for patients studying the causes and treatment of a variety of disorders, all within the supporting framework of reformed Christian faith. You will also have the option of completing a thesis at the end of the program.
The Masters of Arts (M.A.) education program in speech-language pathology (residential and distance education) at Calvin University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.
Prospective graduate applicants with a degree or equivalent coursework in speech pathology and audiology or with degrees in other disciplines/areas of study may apply to the Speech Pathology MA program only. Preference is given to Calvin undergraduate students in the bachelors-to-masters degree program; however, a limited number of seats may be available for post-baccalaureate students. Please note that simply meeting the criteria is not a guarantee of admission. As is the case with most graduate programs in speech pathology, admission is highly competitive. Admission to the Master's program only is dependent on the criteria listed below.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited undergraduate college or university. If you have a degree in another major, you need to complete the necessary prerequisites PRIOR to applying to our MA program.
- Prerequisite SPAUD courses must have been completed within the last seven years.
- A minimum overall GPA of at least a 3.0 and a minimum GPA of 3.0 (no exceptions).
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic and/or professional abilities.
- A personal statement that describes professional goals as well as three strengths and three areas of growth related to your place in a graduate program for speech-language pathology(maximum 500 words).
- Successful completion (with at least a 3.0 GPA) of the undergraduate prerequisites or their equivalents. Descriptions of courses are located here.
- GRE scores are not required.
- Enrollment in the MA program is also contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check, fingerprint check, and drug screen.
Applicants are expected to have completed all required undergraduate prerequisite courses before enrolling in the graduate program. Applicants who are not able to complete those prerequisites in time are welcome to apply the following year. See below for course listings.
- SPAUD-210 Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech Mechanism
- SPAUD-216 Phonetics
- SPAUD-217 Speech Science
- SPAUD-218 Hearing Science
- SPAUD-311 Child Language Development
- SPAUD-344 Evaluation Procedures in Audiology
- SPAUD-345 Aural Rehabilitation
- Developmental Psychology: Lifespan
- Physical Science course, preferably a Physics or Chemistry course
- Biology course
- Statistics course
All applicants must also meet the retention requirements as listed above.
For more information on how to apply as a post-baccalaureate student, see the Admissions page.
**For admissions to the distance-ed mode of the speech-language pathology graduate program, please see details at the following link, https://online.calvin.edu/programs/master-of-speech-language-pathology/.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.