Nestled in the mountains with the ocean just a half-hour away, Oviedo is a great place to study Spanish. In the advanced language program, you'll spend interim and the spring semester living and studying in Spain.
Almost everywhere you look, you’ll see reminders of a rich and long history surrounded by remarkable beauty. Oviedo, considered one of Spain’s cleanest and most elegant cities, is located in the center of the mountainous terrain of Asturias. From the 35,000-year-old Paleolithic Cave Art to the university walls scarred by the 1934 Revolution of Asturias, vestiges of human history are evident everywhere.
Just to the north you will find the cliffs and beautiful beaches of the Asturian coast reaching into the Cantabrian Sea, and in all other directions you will see the peaks of the Cantabrian mountain range, home of Spain’s oldest and most beautiful national park. This is the natural setting surrounding Oviedo, one of Spain’s historic university towns and an ideal place for you to meet Spaniards of all ages and to deepen your understanding of the Spanish language and culture.
Our semester in Spain programs partner with the Casa de las Lenguas at the University of Oviedo, where you’ll take courses in Spanish language and culture. You’ll also live with a local family and learn about the Spanish way of life firsthand.
Oviedo is on the northern coast of Spain. It is located 16 miles from the Atlantic coast and 270 miles northwest of Madrid.
- Approx. 225,000, with more than 860,000 in the metropolitan area
- Things to do
- Walk around the beautiful pedestrian zone
- Attend a pro soccer or basketball game
- Take public transit to one of the many beaches on the coast, mountain hiking trails or ski stations during the winter
- Golf at one of four local courses
- Take in a concert at one of Oviedo's two music auditoria, or visit one of the many museums in town
- Make day-trips to regional destinations like León, Santiago de Compostela, Bilbao and Burgos
- Take extended trips to cities like Barcelona, Granada or Madrid
- Oviedo's climate is moderate and is generally described as oceanic (similar to the Pacific Northwest). Temperatures range from an average high in the mid-70s F (low 20's C) in the summer to an average low in the mid-40s F (low 10's C) in the winter.