Calvin's honors program is organized into two distinct tracts: the Honors Scholars program and the Collegiate Scholars program. You can find more about those programs at the Calvin Honors website.
Important note: These requirements are relevant only to students enrolled in the legacy honors program. New students who are participating in the Honors Scholars or Collegiate Scholars programs should instead see the Honors website.
In order to fulfill the legacy honors requirements, you must:
- Take at least six honors courses overall (18 credit hours minimum) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Take at least three honors courses outside the major and at least three within it (normally including Spanish 395)
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 in all Spanish courses
- Complete an honors component in at least three Spanish courses above the 302 level with a final grade of at least a B+
*Note: An honors component in a Spanish 202/203 course may fulfill the general college honors requirement, but it will not fulfill the departmental honors requirement.
You must submit an honors application form by the end of reading recess in the spring semester of your junior year. This form requires you to provide:
- A list of honors courses you've completed and your grade.
- Your cumulative GPA and your GPA in Spanish classes.
- A title or short description of your honors thesis.
- The name of the primary and secondary supervisor of your thesis.
- Your advisor's signature, as well as your primary supervisor's signature.
Honors thesis & presentation
You must write a senior thesis in Spanish. Usually this will be the term paper written for the Spanish 395 capstone class. It is recommended that you work during the previous semester or summer to complete a large portion of the research.
The timeline for your work on your thesis during the semester of its completion is as follows:
- Week 4 of the semester: Statement of thesis and bibliography
- Week 8: First draft
- Week 12: Second draft
- Last day of classes for the semester: Third and final draft (if needed)
You must present your thesis at an approved forum.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.