Offering over 20 courses, three off-campus semester programs and several off-campus interim trips, the Spanish department at Calvin College provides students with world-class opportunities to develop their language and cultural engagement skills.
At the heart of Spanish education at Calvin is a desire to see students break down barriers that exist between races, cultures and nations so that they can better understand their role in fulfilling Christ's command to love one's neighbor as oneself.
The Spanish department offers courses in language (including conversation, grammar and composition), Hispanic culture, linguistics, the literature of Spain and Latin America, medical Spanish and more.
Major and minor programs in the department include:
- Spanish major
- Spanish education majors (secondary, elementary, and both elementary K-12 and secondary K-12)
- Spanish minor
- Spanish education minors (secondary and elementary)
- Bilingual education minor
- ESL minors (for education and non-education majors)
- Latin American Studies minor in conjuction with other departments
Language courses are also available for students needing to fulfill the foreign language core curriculum requirement.
of Spanish majors study abroad while at Calvin
million people speak Spanish worldwide
of 2015 Spanish majors were employed or in graduate school within one year of graduation.