Take the knowledge you've gained in your sociology classes and begin to apply it in the real world, while you're still in college. Gaining work experience through an internship can help you determine what kind of career might be best for you.
You can find internships in areas related to the study of sociology in two ways: through for-credit internships or through Calvin's career development office.
If you're entering your senior year at Calvin and have demonstrated ability in your sociology courses, you may apply for an internship placement. The internship is part of SOC 380, a three-credit course that includes eight hours a week spent working in a local business or organization under the direction of an on-site supervisor. The course also includes participation in regular seminar meetings and a project that details your learning throughout your internship experience.
Contact Mark Mulder to apply for the program and learn more about possible internship placements.
Find an independent internship
Make use of the resources available at Calvin's Career Development office to find your own internship. Employers post internship opportunities with the office throughout the year and many of these positions go unfilled.
Students have been placed in the following local organizations:
- The Rapid
- Plainfield Township
- Project Rehab
- Christian Counseling Center
- Kent County Juvenile Court
- Trillium Haven Farm
- Mel Trotter Ministries
- Trinity United Methodist Church Community Outreach
- Grand Rapids Police Department
- West Michigan Environmental Action Council
- Child and Family Resource Council
- East Grand Rapids Department of Public Safety
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.