MSU Early Assurance
Calvin pre-medical students have the opportunity to gain early assurance of admission to Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (MSU-CHM), thanks to a cooperative education program.
This Early Assurance Program (EAP) provides an enhanced opportunity for admission to medical school to Calvin University premedical students who are interested in practicing in an underserved area of medicine.
Calvin pre-medicine students who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Demonstrate an active interest in and knowledge of medicine through:
- Participation in the Calvin University Pre-health Professionals student organization
- Obtaining direct experience with the delivery of health care through volunteering, employment and/or shadowing in medical/clinical settings
- Demonstrate commitment to the service of humanity through consistent community service activities.
- Maintain regular contact with the Calvin University premedical advisor during their time of study at Calvin University.
- Meet minimum academic standards of a 3.0 overall GPA, 3.0 science GPA, and a minimum 25 MCAT composite score, with the biological science score being equal to or greater than 8.
- Evidence leadership through participation in extra-curricular, academic, research, organizational, volunteer and/or employment activities.
- Complete an academic major of their choice.
- Demonstrate the professional behavior expectations of competence, honesty, compassion, respect for others and responsibility in their academic, clinical and volunteer experiences.
Who would get preference for admission?
- Students who are likely to practice in an underserved urban or rural location.
- Students who are first generation college students.
- Graduates from low income high schools.
- PELL grant eligible or recipients.
- Graduates of an underserved (health professional shortage) urban or rural area high school.
- Students who demonstrate interest in a high need medical specialty in a health professional shortage area.
The pre-medical committee will have to verify your application with Michigan State University College of Human Medicine.Application Timeline
More information about applying...
EAP applicants will receive word from CHM on whether or not they are accepted before the American Medical College Application Servise (AMCAS) begins accepting regular applications. So, there is no disadvantage to applying to the EAP. The student can even apply to MSU-CHM with no prejudice from the unsuccessful EAP application.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.