Work with patients to get them moving again.
As a physical therapist, you’ll assist individuals with disabilities resulting from injury, disease, or a developmental disorder. To prepare for this career, all our students work with patients under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist. Our Service Learning Center will help you find clinical experience at places like Mary Free Bed, Exalta Health, and more.
As you train, get ready to study hard. At Calvin, our pre-physical therapy track pairs exceptionally well with our kinesiology pre-professional degree. However, we also give you the flexibility to pursue any major, with the guidance of a personal advisor.
Here, you’ll find rigorous academics, hands-on experience, expert guidance, and community -- everything you need to succeed in graduate school and beyond.
As a physical therapist, you will help your patients to improve mobility, relieve pain and prevent or limit permanent physical disability. It is an excellent vocation for those who are called to apply their knowledge and compassion in ways which improve the quality of others’ lives.
Stand out and get in
Calvin can prepare you to succeed in a very competitive field:
- Take advantage of Calvin's excellent academics to be a strong candidate for graduate-level training. Many programs require a 3.0 minimum grade point average, but the current average GPA for acceptance is 3.55. Calvin will empower you to keep your grades strong and you skills stronger.
- Most physical therapy schools require 50-100 observation hours in the field of physical therapy. You can gain this experience as an employee or a volunteer. Arrange to get the experience you need through the Service-Learning Center at Calvin University. Excellent advice can be found at Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service website.
If you are interested in becoming a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy), there are some important things you need to know regarding preparation for DPT school:
Pre-PT students declare a major which allows them to complete the pre-requisite courses required by the DPT schools. Most often, this major is Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Biology, or Allied Health Science. As long as you successfully complete the courses which satisfy the DPT programs’ requirements, you can declare almost any major you wish.
Calvin can prepare you to succeed in the rigorous competition for admittance to DPT programs around the country. Be sure to work closely with your advisor to meet the requirements for the school you wish to attend.
The changing landscape of PT
Learn more about the field of physical therapy at the World Confederation for Physical Therapy »
Calvin pre-physical therapy students take their studies around the world, with study-abroad opportunities in places like England, China, and Ghana. Learn more »
A world of possibilities
This program is part of a family of health science programs, many of which share a common course foundation. Learn about other options in the health sciences »
Family income distribution for students applying for financial aid.
You can afford a Calvin education.
You’ve heard a lot about the high cost of a university education. But a Calvin education is much more affordable than you think. Most Calvin students pay far below the sticker price—and graduate with less debt than you might expect.
A reputation for excellence.
There’s a reason Calvin gets top marks from U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and more. Calvin graduates are in demand at grad schools, med schools, and careers in every field.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.