Scholarships are available to Calvin students studying political science or international relations and/or pursuing a Pre-Law specialization.
How to apply for scholarships
The application forms for named scholarships are available every year beginning December 1 and must be submitted by February 1. All of the scholarships for first-year students and current students are available online. All students who will be enrolled next academic year are encouraged to apply.
|Buikema, Ronald Memorial Scholarship||$3,700||SR||3.00|
|DeKryger Monsman Memorial Scholarship||$2,200||SO/JR/SR||2.50|
|Dragt, Gerrit, Beulah, and Robert Memorial Scholarship||$3,200||FR||3.50|
|Feikens, Honorable John Memorial Pre-Law Scholarship||$4,400||JR/SR||3.50|
|Jelsema Family Scholarship||$3,300||JR/SR||3.40|
|Kingma, Gezina Stuart and Jan Willem Scholarship||$2,900||JR/SR||3.50|
|Peace and Justice Scholarship||$1,500||SO/JR/SR||2.50|
|Penning, Dr. James Scholarship||$3,100||JR/SR||3.20|
|Schrier, Andy W. Memorial Scholarship||$2,300||SO/JR/SR||2.50|
|Strikwerda, Charles Scholarship in Political Science||$1,500||JR/SR||3.00|
|VanDellen, Jacob and Rena Scholarship||$2,250||JR/SR||3.00|
|Voskuil, Lyle and Barbara (Duimstra) Family Scholarship||$3,100||JR/SR||3.00|
|Westra, Johan and Wilma Scholarship||$1,000||JR/SR||3.00|
|Wierenga, Donald and Nancy Business and Public Service Scholarship||$2,500||SO/JR/SR||3.00|
|Zylstra, Dr. Bernard, S.J.D., Memorial Scholarship||$4,350||JR/SR||3.00|
Additional Student Awards
Fox Fund Award
The Fox Fund is a supplemental travel grant established in 2004 by the Department of Political Science as a result of a gift from Rev. Joseph D. and Mrs. Barbara D. Fox to honor their son, Ben Fox.
- Current Calvin political science or international relations majors or minors with a financial need.
- To be used for transportation or related travel expenses to departmentally-sanctioned purposes (normally either for participation in Model United Nations, an academic conference, or a State/Local Internship).
- A maximum of $100 is given to eligible students in any given academic year but students may apply in more than one year.
Fox Fund Application Form must be turned in to the Political Science Department office at least three weeks in advance of the event for which the funds are to be used.
Paul B. Henry Semester in Washington, D.C. Scholarship
Dr. Paul B. Henry was a leader of Christian vision and action who taught political science at Calvin University before serving in elective office. This scholarship was established in Paul Henry's memory to encourage civic engagement by Calvin students through participation in a semester in Washington D.C.
- current Calvin student accepted into the semester in Washington D.C.
- cumulative GPA of 3.20 or higher
- demonstrate personal and intellectual maturity, seriousness of purpose as demonstrated in academic work, and interest in civic engagement
- financial need is considered
For more information and the link to the scholarship form please visit The Henry Semester in Washington D.C. website.
April 2019 Reception for Scholarship Recipients