Study the complexities of justice and power while developing analytical and communication skills that you can use in many fields, including government, law, business, and the nonprofit sector.
At Calvin, you'll take advantage of small class sizes, student research positions, internship opportunities, and off-campus programs. Your experiences will equip you to enter the complex world of politics, diplomacy, and civil society.
Understand the world in a whole new way—going beyond partisan, national, and ideological divisions—and resolve to take action as a faithful servant of Christ.
Political science majors, particularly those who do not anticipate pursuing either law school or some graduate program shortly after graduation, are encouraged to enroll in internship programs. Interested students can find more information about on the Internship page.
Three courses in American politics, political theory, and research methods
Choose one course.
Choose one course.
Choose fifteen additional hours of political science coursework (which may include one interim course and/or six hours of internship credit) or complete the Policy Studies and Civic Leadership Concentration requirements, below.
- POLS 202 - Democracy in America: State and Federal Government
- POLS 209 - Public and Non-Profit Administration
- POLS 212 - American Public Policy
- One internship (which may include POLS 380 or participation in the Henry Semester in Washington, D.C.)
Challenge and inform
Journalism is one of many degrees that complements a political science major. Learn more »
Build a more just world
An passion for political science and social justice is a great fit for Calvin's pre-law program. Learn more »
You can afford a Calvin education.
You’ve heard a lot about the high cost of a university education. But a Calvin education is much more affordable than you think. Most Calvin students pay far below the sticker price—and graduate with less debt than you might expect.
A reputation for excellence.
There’s a reason Calvin gets top marks from U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and more. Calvin graduates are in demand at grad schools, med schools, and careers in every field.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.