The study of politics and government is one of the oldest and most universal of human activities, yet it is as current as today's newsheadlines. Politics takes its most dramatic form in clashes over paramount issues: military engagements, environmental protection, civil rights, criminal justice, taxation and the economy. However, politics also takes the important but less dramatic form of people overcoming their differences and working together to find solutions to common problems.
Calvin's political science department offers:
- Seven customizable academic programs
- Experiential learning opportunities including a variety of study abroad options and local, national, and global internships in politics, policy, and nonprofit administration
- Individual attention from outstanding teachers and scholars
Why political science?
Political science at Calvin University goes beyond right and left, red and blue, Republican and Democrat, to give you a new way of seeing how systems of power work—and how they should work. The department seeks to give students the knowledge and ability to analyze and to participate effectively in the political world. We want our students to use their intellectual knowledge and practical skills, together with a vibrant Christian faith, to promote justice in the light of Christ-centered principles and values.
Professors work to integrate faith and learning in the classroom in a way that doesn't simply defend Christian faith and values from secular perspectives. You will also be challenged to encounter the complex world of politics as a whole, carefully considering how faith can impact institutions and policy in a way that promotes justice throughout society.
An undergraduate political science major prepares students for a variety of careers in both the public and private sectors. Calvin political science alumni work in several fields, including:
- Political consulting
- Public administration and city management
- Law enforcement
- Elected office (or staff for elected officials)
- Non-profit organizations, domestically and internationally
Calvin's full-time political science professors all have doctorates and extensive teaching and research backgrounds. The department is large enough to offer a broad range of courses, but small enough to give students close, personal attention both inside and outside of the classroom.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.