Careers in Exercise Science
As an exercise science major, you will gain expertise in a variety of areas of the discipline, including anatomic and mechanical kinesiology, exercise physiology, motor learning, and nutrition, enabling you to pursue a vocation with a broad spectrum of clients through personal training, cardiac rehabilitation, health club leadership, or corporate fitness programming. You will be well prepared for further graduate studies in exercise science, nutrition, physical therapy, occupational therapy, sports medicine, and general medicine.
Where to from here?
Exercise science internships are encouraged but not required. Students have recently interned in a wide variety of fields:
- Cardiac rehabilitation at Charlevoix and Spectrum Health hospitals
- Corporate fitness at Johnson Controls, Zondervan, and Shape Corporation
- Disease Prevention and Rehabilitation at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- The health club industry at Champion Fitness, East Hills Athletic Club, MVP, and the Gottlieb Health & Fitness Center-Chicago.
The Huddleston Exercise Science Scholarship is available for qualified students to help support internships.
Some specialties require further preparation at the graduate level and/or certification by the American College of Sports Medicine or National Strength and Conditioning Association. Calvin exercise science majors who pursue graduate degrees are highly competitive.
Recent Calvin graduates have been accepted into graduate programs at many places, including:
- Indiana University
- Mayo Clinic
- Northwestern University
- University of Illinois-Chicago
- University of Michigan
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Texas-Austin
- Wake Forest University
- Washington University in St. Louis
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.