As part of the IDS program, students will participate in an off-campus program in a developing nation.
Calvin offers several semester-long programs that focus on studying development and fulfill the study abroad requirement for international development studies. 100% of your financial aid applies to the following, Calvin-sponsored programs:
Honduras: Justice Studies
Courses taken in Ghana usually qualify as IDS electives.
Honduras: Spanish Studies
Semester in Peru
- Spend a semester in Arequipa, Peru in this advanced Spanish language program. Each fall semester, you have the opportunity to study at the Universidad Católica San Pablo, live with a Peruvian family and take excursions to places like Lima, Cuzco and Machu Picchu.
Semester in Honduras: Spanish Studies
- Don't just study Latin American culture—immerse yourself in it. In this semester program, you'll improve your language skills while also learning about the challenges facing one of the Western Hemisphere's poorest countries.
Semester in Honduras: Justice Studies
- Learn about justice issues in Tegucigalpa by studying abroad in one of two Calvin semester programs in Honduras. Whether through an interview with a worker in a garment factory or a lecture from one of Honduras' top politicians, this semester will open your eyes to a new way of thinking about justice: as something that's possible.
Semester in Ghana
- Find yourself standing in a crowd full of surprising contrasts: a young woman wearing traditional clothing is text-messaging a friend while a suited businessman walks by, carrying a traditional offering to a tribal chief. This is Ghana, where the country's diverse peoples and cultures are finding ways to coexist in a rapidly modernizing country.
IDIS W42 Ecological, Economic and Environmental Issues in Ecuador and the Galapagos
- As “living laboratories of evolution”, the Galapagos Islands and the Andean peaks surrounding Quito, Ecuador, are two unique and fascinating places on earth. Having an equatorial climate, these two ecosystems are quickly becoming trendy vacation spots, generating local economies that are heavily reliant on the ecotourism industry.
FREN W80 Interim in Haiti
- You'll spend two and a half weeks teaching French to the student orphans of EBAC Christian Academy and Orphanage in Morne Rouge, Haiti.
BIOL W10 Tropical Ecosystems: Conservation and Development in Central America
- Tropical ecosystems contain the highest concentration of Earth’s biodiversity. Under the pressures of human population growth and resource use, tropical ecosystems are also experiencing the highest rates of biodiversity loss.
CHEM W10 Introduction to Medical Missions in Nepal
- In this course premedical, dental and nursing students get exposed to third world medicine in both a secular and a mission context.
Water and Ecuador
- This course travels to Ecuador. Water is our primary focus. We explore its complexities in the context of a population demographics, landforms and water sources, cultural and governmental expectations, and the efforts of non-governmental agencies.
IDIS W41 In Search of Water in Ethiopia
- This course travels to Ethiopia. Water is our primary focus. We explore its complexities in the context of a increased population, climate change, land degradation, economic development, cultural change (including that by the Christian church) and the efforts of non-governmental agencies.
IDIS W13 Exploring Honduras from Mountains to Mountains
- This course provides students the opportunity to dig deep and explore the many sides of Honduras.
IDIS W14 Contemporary Dominican Life: Trial and Hope in the Dominican Republic
- This course will allow students to experience the culture and place of the Dominican Republic while also learning about its language, history, and culture.
IDIS W81 China: Medicine, Health Care & Culture
- The world's most populous country has a long, rich cultural tradition featuring unique views of life, persons, the human body, medicine, and nature. As China has sought to modernize over the last half century, some of its traditions and practices have persisted, while others have become westernized.
BUS W10 Business as Mission in India
- It has become important for business persons to understand India. It is also important for Christians to understand God’s intended role for business in society.
STGH 211 Christianity in West Africa
- This multidisciplinary interim class will be taught in partnership with Akrofi Christaller Institute located in Akropong, Ghana. The course will expose students to the richness of Ghanaian history, culture (ancient kingdoms, early independence, vibrant ethnic tapestry), and, in particular, religion.
EDUC W10 Education for Hope.
- Participants explore and learn with Sierra Leonean teachers, families, and SL Education Professionals to better understand the complex circumstances that challenge children’s education there.
There are other development-focused study abroad programs offered by different colleges and organizations which can fulfill your study abroad requirement. Varying levels of financial aid apply to these programs. These programs are already approved as credit towards the IDS major. If you are interested in pursuing one of these programs as part of your major requirements for IDS, please contact us.
Northwestern College offers a semester in Romania through New Horizons Foundation. Students in this program will study Romanian culture, history, and language, while also focusing on experiential education, service learning, and sustainable development theory.
The International Sustainable Development Studies Institute offers a semester in Thailand. This program looks at the links between culture and ecology through the lens of sustainability and development.
Programs in Developing Nations:
Both Calvin and other institutions offer other programs in the developing world. While these programs do not exclusively focus on studying development, they provide other options to study abroad in developing nations. If you are interested in pursuing one of these programs as part of your major requirements for IDS, please contact us.