This program is designed for students who have graduated with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution without having obtained a teaching certificate. To be eligible for this program, students must have a grade point average of 2.75 above and two letters of recommendation. Students complete the required courses in the education sequence for secondary certification (grades 6-12 or K-12), including a semester-long directed teaching experience. Certification requirements for at least one certifiable major or minor (including successful completion of state certification tests) must also be met. Approved transfer courses in which a grade of C- or higher is earned can be used to meet program requirements.
For students seeking secondary certification, there are three tracks to choose from. Two tracks provide initial teacher certification that include completion of credits toward an MEd: one track is for candidates without teaching experience, and the other is for candidates who already have teaching experience. The third track provides a pathway to the MEd degree that includes initial certification.
Send the following items to Shari Brouwer, Calvin Education Department:
- Application: Electronic Form or Paper Form
- Two Recommendations: Electronic Form or Paper Form or letters addressed to Shari Brouwer
- College or University Transcripts
- International applicants: TOEFL » scores and one of these two forms for financial aid:
International Student Application for Financial Aid (if requesting aid) OR International Student Full Pay Agreement (if not requesting financial aid)
- EDUC 500 – Introduction to Graduate Studies in Education
- EDUC 554 – Pathways to Inclusion: Re-examining Beliefs about Learners
- EDUC 302 – Curriculum and Instruction for Diverse Learners
- EDUC 303 – Curriculum and Instruction: Practicum
- IDIS 205 – Societal Structures and Education
- EDUC 307 – Reading/Literacy in the Content Area
- EDUC 510 – Framing Questions, Global Forces, Constraining Structures
- EDUC 346 – Directed Teaching: Secondary (12 semester hours)
- 359 – Seminar in Subject Area
- In addition, candidates will need to meet the Calvin requirements for a certifiable major or minor in a teachable subject area.
Track Two: Candidates with Teaching Experience
Candidates with at least one year of successful teaching experience will take all of the courses in track one with the following changes, which reduce the length of their program.
- EDUC 522 – Reshaping Curriculum, Teaching, and Learning will be taken in place of EDUC 302.
- EDUC 303 – Curriculum and Instruction: Practicum will be taken as a credit exam.
- EDUC 346 – Directed Teaching: Secondary (3 semester hours)
Track Three: MEd Degree for Candidates with Teaching Experience
Candidates with teaching experience will complete the track two requirements and take these additional courses to achieve their MEd as well as Initial Certification
- EDUC 514 – Educational Research and Evaluation
- EDUC 516 – Leading Educational Communities: Communication
- EDUC 542 – Diagnosis and Remediation of Literacy Difficulties
- an EDUC specialty course (3 semester hours)
- additional EDUC specialty course(s) (3-9 semester hours, depending on specialty)