As part of the GDS program, students will participate in an off-campus program in a developing nation.
Calvin offers several semester-long programs that focus on studying development and fulfill the study abroad requirement for global development studies. 100% of your financial aid applies to the following, Calvin-sponsored programs:
Course equivalenciesHonduras: Justice Studies
Courses taken in Ghana usually qualify as GDS electives.Honduras: Spanish Studies
Semester in Ghana
- [Not currently offered] Studying at The University of Ghana for a semester will introduce you to a new and exciting culture and give you opportunities to learn a local language, music techniques, cooking methods and much more.
Semester in Honduras
- Don't just study Latin American culture—immerse yourself in it. In this semester program, you'll improve your language skills while also learning about the challenges facing one of the Western Hemisphere's poorest countries.
Semester in Peru
- Spend a semester in Arequipa, Peru in this advanced Spanish language program. Each fall semester, you have the opportunity to study at the Universidad Católica San Pablo, live with a Peruvian family and take excursions to places like Lima, Cusco and Machu Picchu.
IDIS W49 Partnering in Health Promotion in Nigeria
- This interprofessional course will be in Nigeria at Bowen University, Iwo, Osun State. Nigeria is the most populous nation in Sub Sahara Africa with an estimated 182 million people. Students will be exposed to Nigerian health care, religion, and educational systems. Students’ experience will be at both urban and rural sites.
CS W60 Faith and Computer Education in the Dominican Republic
- This trip will provide opportunities to serve and learn about computing in Christian schools in the Dominican Republic.
IDIS W13 Exploring Honduras from Mountains to Mountains
- This course provides students the opportunity to dig deep and explore the many sides of Honduras.
IDIS W42 Ecological, Economic and Environmental Issues in Ecuador and the Galapagos
- As “living laboratories of evolution”, the Galapagos Islands and the Andean peaks surrounding Quito, Ecuador, are two unique and fascinating places on earth. Having an equatorial climate, these two ecosystems are quickly becoming trendy vacation spots, generating local economies that are heavily reliant on the ecotourism industry.
IDIS W41 Leadership in Africa: Kenya
- This course focuses on how leaders in East Africa develop businesses, provide health care, organize government and education, respond to crises, address poverty alleviation, promote community development and micro-finance, and conduct worship.
IDIS W14 Contemporary Dominican Life: Trial and Hope in the Dominican Republic
- This course will allow students to experience the culture and place of the Dominican Republic while also learning about its language, history, and culture.
IDIS W42 Engaging Development in Cambodia
- The goal of this class is to identify and understand the root causes of abject poverty in Cambodia and Thailand, then to participate with a wide variety of organizations supporting development activities.
IDIS W41 In Search of Water in Ethiopia
- This course travels to Ethiopia. Water is our primary focus. We explore its complexities in the context of a increased population, climate change, land degradation, economic development, cultural change (including that by the Christian church) and the efforts of non-governmental agencies.
BIOL W10 Tropical Ecosystems: Conservation and Development in Central America
- Tropical ecosystems contain the highest concentration of Earth’s biodiversity. Under the pressures of human population growth and resource use, tropical ecosystems are also experiencing the highest rates of biodiversity loss.
EDUC W10 Education for Hope.
- Participants explore and learn with Sierra Leonean teachers, families, and SL Education Professionals to better understand the complex circumstances that challenge children’s education there.
FREN W80 Interim in Haiti
- You'll spend two and a half weeks teaching French to the student orphans of EBAC Christian Academy and Orphanage in Morne Rouge, Haiti.
BUS W10 Business as Mission in India
- It has become important for business persons to understand India. It is also important for Christians to understand God’s intended role for business in society.
There are other development-focused study abroad programs offered by different colleges and organizations which can fulfill your study abroad requirement. Varying levels of financial aid apply to these programs. These programs are already approved as credit towards the GDS major. If you are interested in pursuing one of these programs as part of your major requirements for GDS, please contact us.Transylvania Semester Program:
Northwestern College offers a semester in Romania through New Horizons Foundation. Students in this program will study Romanian culture, history, and language, while also focusing on experiential education, service learning, and sustainable development theory.Thailand Semester:
The International Sustainable Development Studies Institute offers a semester in Thailand. This program looks at the links between culture and ecology through the lens of sustainability and development.
Programs in Developing Nations:
Both Calvin and other institutions offer other programs in the developing world. While these programs do not exclusively focus on studying development, they provide other options to study abroad in developing nations. If you are interested in pursuing one of these programs as part of your major requirements for IDS, please contact us.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.