Interim Abroad 50th Anniversary
In 1967-68, Calvin implemented a new academic calendar that for the first time included Interim. Taking advantage of this new opportunity, Professor Art Otten, chair of the French Department, decided to organize Calvin’s first ever interim abroad to Paris and Montpellier. This was the course description:
FREN 21: Interim Abroad: Four and one-half weeks in France, with three-day excursion to the chateaux of the Loire valley. Advanced language; lectures by French authorities on language, literature and culture. Visits to important monuments and museums as well as attendance at the Opera and at the Comédie-Française. (Fee: approximately $500) Otten.
Three alumni share their memories of that first Calvin Interim Abroad:
Dorothea Berkhout ex'71
- Dorothea Berkhout had a great experience spending time in Paris and taking classes at l’Université de Montpellier.
Lucie Commeret Marsden '71
- As a 17-year-old freshman, Lucie Marsden spent every last dollar she owned to go on the Interim Abroad—and was rewarded with an once-in-a-lifetime experience that she remembers fondly to this day.
Barbara Gardner '70
- For Barbara Gardner, the Interim Abroad nurtured a love of a country and its people that has resulted in her taking more than a dozen trips to France.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.