Use your degree in fields as diverse as business, computer science or music. With the knowledge and skills that come from your degree, you will be prepared to engage and serve the world—to communicate with passion and truth.
Find the right fit for you
Calvin English majors have gone on to become doctors, lawyers, business people, marketing associates, pastors, Web writers, librarians, teachers, ESL tutors, editors, freelance proofreaders, screenplay writers, professors and of course, writers and poets. Explore the different career paths other graduates have taken before you.
English majors who participated in an internship (2015).
2015 English majors employed or in grad school after 1 year.
Grand Rapids’ rank on The New York Times’ list of places to visit in 2016
What can I do with an English major?
- Write or edit for newspapers, internet sites, government agencies or universities.
- Add a minor in science or computer science and specialize in technical communication, including writing for engineering firms, healthcare industries, computer systems design companies, software publishers and more.
- Get involved in marketing and publishing, writing for special interest magazines, association magazines, scholarly publishing or trade publishing.
- Teach writing or literature at any level of education or specialize in ESL.
- Write for advertising agencies and write copy, design web pages and get involved in media.
- Write for public relations firms or agencies and work with account management, fundraising and editing media relations.
- Add pre-law and offer your writing and researching skills in combination with your pursuit of a law degree.
- Utilize your English skills in ministry, as communicating God’s love clearly is greatly needed.
Walking Boldly: Paulina Heule
Paulina Heule '15 is a paralegal at a large international law firm.
How to turn an English major into a career
Samantha Vanderberg '12 talks about her love for words and how her English major helped her land an internship at the one of the largest Christian publishing companies in the world.
U.S. News recognizes Calvin College for its undergraduate research
Calvin is on a short list of institutions that U.S. News & World Report highlights as outstanding examples of undergraduate research and creative projects.
English students at home in their department
The English department uses soup suppers, retreats, snowball fights and one book to build community.
Calvin's student newspaper partners with 'The Rapidian'
Through a local partnership, Calvin's student newspaper gives its writers more experience and a bigger platform for their writing.