Academics / Departments & Programs / Education / Student Teaching
The semester-long student teaching internship will be the the culmination of your education experience. Under the supervision of faculty members and master teachers, you will integrate and expand on what you've learned to reach your intellectual goals.
Calvin provides varying student teaching experiences for education majors, allowing them to try urban vs. suburban, lower socio-economic vs. higher socio-economic, lower vs. upper elementary settings, etc.” Quote from school principal
The education program at Calvin University is based on the belief that all teachers should be responsive and transformative educators. This intense, in-depth experience provides an opportunity for students to use what they have learned in the program and to demonstrate their competence as a teacher. Individual conferences, seminars and assignments will help students reflect on their experiences and assess their own progress throughout the semester.
All student teaching internships include:
- One to two weeks of guided observation, curriculum review, and co-planning.
- At least two weeks of full-time teaching.
- Observation in other classrooms and other schools.
- Formal observation by a university supervisor and mentor teacher.
- Attendance at a weekly seminar course at Calvin.
Fall and spring semester: elementary education
Fall only: secondary math, sciences and physical education
Spring only: special education and secondary: art, English, world languages, music, history, and social studies.
Questions?Contact Jane Genzink in the education department
Take the next step:
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Apply to Calvin
It all starts here! We accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. All completed applications receive equal consideration.Start your journey × CLOSE DRAWER
Find the visit option that works best for you and get a taste for life at Calvin!Browse Visit Options Launch the virtual tour × CLOSE DRAWER
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.
Costs & Financial Aid
Families from all economic backgrounds—many just like yours—are making Calvin work. Scholarships, grants and loans are the tools that make Calvin possible.Explore financial aid & Scholarships How much does Calvin cost? × CLOSE DRAWER