CPR and First Aid
The State of Michigan requires CPR and first-aid training for all candidates seeking initial teacher certification. Therefore, Calvin will not be able to recommend a person for certification unless he or she has successfully completed the required and approved CPR and first-aid courses, including both adult and child CPR.
- Students must complete this requirement prior to the beginning of the internship semester.
- We recommend that you complete this requirement at Calvin (see dates below).
- If this is not possible, several courses are available off-campus. Visit the Health Education Associates website or view the list of state-approved providers for details. Online courses such as those offered by the American Heart Association are acceptable as long as the performance of CPR is demonstrated in person. Classes that are completely online are not acceptable because state law requires a test demonstration on a mannequin.
- Students who take a CPR/first-aid class at a location other than Calvin University should bring the cards in person to the education department, or mail the actual cards to Shari Brouwer. Include your address so that cards may be mailed back to you. We cannot accept photocopies, faxed copies, or emailed pictures of CPR and first-aid cards unless the copy includes an online verification code.
- Most cards are now valid for two years and must be valid at the point when you apply for teacher certification after graduating.
We offer a six-hour class on campus at Calvin through the American Heart Association for a fee of $75 (pay at the door with cash, check, or credit card). Cards are valid for two years.
Check the Health Education Associates website for options because many CPR classes have been canceled or postponed.
The education department receives a list of all students who completed the class within a few days, so you do not need to bring your CPR card to the education department.
PREREGISTER TO GET YOUR CARD AT END OF CLASS
(If you do not preregister, your card will be mailed to you within two weeks. The education department will still be notified that you completed the class within a few days. Preregistered candidates are guaranteed a spot in the class—but so far no one who didn't preregister has had to be turned away due to a full class.)
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.