CPR and First Aid
The State of Michigan requires CPR and first-aid training for all candidates seeking initial teacher certification. Therefore, Calvin will not be able to recommend a person for certification unless he or she has successfully completed the required and approved CPR and first-aid courses, including both adult and child CPR.
- Students must complete this requirement prior to the beginning of the internship semester.
- We recommend that you complete this requirement at Calvin (see dates below).
- If this is not possible, several courses are available off-campus. Visit the Health Education Associates website or view the list of state-approved providers for details. Online courses such as those offered by the American Heart Association are acceptable as long as the performance of CPR is demonstrated in person. Classes that are completely online are not acceptable because state law requires a test demonstration on a mannequin.
- Students who take a CPR/first-aid class at a location other than Calvin University should bring the cards in person to the education department, or mail the actual cards to Shari Brouwer. Include your address so that cards may be mailed back to you. We cannot accept photocopies, faxed copies, or emailed pictures of CPR and first-aid cards unless the copy includes an online verification code.
- Most cards are now valid for two years and must be valid at the point when you apply for teacher certification after graduating.
We hope to resume offering on-campus classes during spring 2021. We offer a six-hour class on campus at Calvin through the American Heart Association for a fee of $75 (pay at the door with cash, check, or credit card). Cards are valid for two years.
During fall 2020, check the Health Education Associates website or contact Gwen Buteyn in the Education Department for options. Register for the Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED class (a Blended Learning class is acceptable). You must sign up online to be guaranteed a spot in the class.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.