Take the next step into a teaching career and receive your teacher certification if you already have your degree from an accredited institution.
This is a non-degree program leading to a Michigan Standard Teaching Certificate.
Calvin offers programs leading to certification in elementary K–5, secondary 6–12 and K–12 special education. K–12 art, K–12 Chinese, music, PE, Spanish, and French are also available. Students in this program do not need to complete Calvin's core requirements, only those courses necessary for teacher certification (teachable major/minor(s) and professional education courses). Courses taken for the bachelor's degree may count toward this program as long as the grades were C- or higher.
Calvin offers very few online courses for the post-BA program. Students must be able to attend classes during the day because several education courses include field experiences in local schools. Reduced requirements are available for candidates with at least one year of teaching experience (describe your experience in the application).
- A background check prior to EDUC 302–303 through certifiedbackground.com—Package Code: an65
- The required courses in the education sequence (courses tab) for elementary or secondary certification
- The required courses for elementary or secondary majors and minors
- Pass the appropriate Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification (MTTC).
- Adult/child CPR and first aid training.
- A semester-long directed teaching experience
Costs, Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Post-BA Elementary Ed students are charged the undergraduate tuition rate ».
- If you require financial assistance, contact James Koeman in the financial aid office » and explain that you already have a bachelor's degree and will be completing the post-BA teacher certification program.
- You may also apply for education department scholarships.
- Submit the application materials (see below).
- Bachelor's degree grade point average of at least 2.75
- Candidates with a GPA of 2.5–2.749 may be granted provisional admission and are required to earn a 2.5 GPA after the first semester in order to be granted regular admission.
- All candidates meet with the dean of education or an appropriate departmental advisor prior to beginning classes.
Send the following items to Shari Brouwer, Calvin education department:
- Application Form
- Two Recommendations or letters addressed to Shari Brouwer
- College or university transcripts
- International applicants: TOEFL scores and one of these two forms for financial aid:
(if requesting aid) OR (if not requesting financial aid)
The certification coordinator and dean of education serve as advisors for the education course requirements. Candidates are also assigned an advisor from each major and minor department.
- Course code: