Students who have not met program admission requirements or have been denied admission to the program may appeal in writing to the Appeals Committee. Further appeals relating to issues of due process may be made to the university Academic Standards Committee.

Download the Education Program Appeal Procedures form

Class rosters are checked each semester to determine if all of the students enrolled are eligible to be in that class. Students who are not eligible are informed of their deficiency and are told that they will be dropped from the course(s) unless they become eligible or are granted permission by the Appeals Committee to stay in the course(s).

Below are some of the primary reasons students file appeals and advice on what to do should you not meet the admission criteria:

Grade Point Average below 2.5

How to calculate your GPA

If your GPA is below a 2.5, you should do the following:

  • Plan your program so that you know when you have to take EDUC 302–303. Once you know the latest semester during which you must take your first 300-level education course, you have a target date so that you can then work on improving your GPA.
  • If you are at a point where you must take EDUC 302–303, and your GPA is between a 2.40 and 2.49, you may appeal to the Teacher Education Appeals Committee for permission to take these courses. You will have to prove that you must take these courses at this time and that your GPA is improving.
  • If the appeal to take EDUC 302–303 is approved, the candidate must improve their GPA to at least 2.5 and be admitted to the professional education program in order to continue in EDUC courses the following semester. If the candidate is unable to meet these requirements, another appeal must be submitted requesting permission to continue in EDUC courses.
  • If your GPA is 2.39 or below, you will have to make alternate plans because you are not eligible to appeal. Make an appointment with the dean of education to discuss your options.
  • Use Calvin's support systems to improve your grades, including free tutoring and study groups offered by the Center for Student Success, the Rhetoric Center for help with paper writing and editing, counseling from the Center for Counseling and Wellness, and conferences with your instructors, who are eager to help you succeed.

Denied Permission to Student Teach

The requirements for permission to student teach are listed in the admission and requirements section. If you have been denied permission to student teach because you did not meet department requirements, you should do the following:

  • Contact your advisor in that department. If you believe that you have a situation that warrants an appeal, your first appeal is to the department that denied you permission, and your advisor from that department will work with you to prepare the appeal.
  • If your appeal is denied by the department and you believe you have a good case, your next level of appeal is to the Teacher Education Program Appeals Committee. Contact the education department for instructions on how to proceed.