More than anything else, language is the gateway to another culture. From the settlement of New Amsterdam (more commonly know as New York) to the founding of Calvin itself, the language and culture of the Netherlands have shaped our societal identity.
Calvin is proud to be one of only a handful of colleges and universities nationwide that offer a Dutch major and minor program. Our location in Grand Rapids provides the unique advantage of a thriving Dutch community to support our studies. By combining a strong classroom foundation with rich cultural engagement, Calvin is able to offer a quality education to any student interested in germanic languages.
Study abroad in the Netherlands over interim or for a semester; join the Dutch department for Sinterklaus and Konninginedag parties; ride in Calvin's annual "Go Green, Go Dutch, Go Bike!" event; attend Dutch chapel.
(34 semester hours)
- DUTC-101 Elementary Dutch I
- DUTC-102 Elementary Dutch II
- DUTC-201 Intermediate Dutch I
- DUTC-202 Intermediate Dutch II
- Six 300-level electives, one of which maybe an approved Dutch-language interim in the Netherlands.
- Courses taken on semester programs in the Netherlands may apply, provided that students meet with department chair and gain approval for specific courses in advance.
Work with your Dutch advisor to carefully choose six electives for your Dutch major.
- Course code: