An internship will help you gain experience, develop professionally, explore possible careers, build relationships in your field, and grow in confidence. Internships are a first step in transitioning from the classroom to the workplace. Where will your internship take you?
85% of CAS students complete at least one internship before graduating. CAS students find internships in organizations both in Grand Rapids and across the nation. To learn more about the value of internships, visit the Career Center website.
Take the Internship Class
Taking CAS 346 while you intern enables you to earn credit and get the most from your internship experience. The course helps you reflect on your experiences in order to more successfully work, relate, collaborate, organize, and communicate in professional settings. Coursework includes weekly seminar participation, readings, journals, a presentation, and a professional portfolio.
CAS students complete internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations in various fields— public relations, media production, journalism, event planning, social media, acting, ministry, human resources, recruiting, advertising, graphic design, and more. Recent internship placements include:
- ADAPT Theatre Company
- Catholic Central High School
- Celebration Cinemas
- Christian Reformed Home Missions
- Community Media Center
- Cornerstone Church
- Eastown Community Association
- Foremos Insurance
- Girl Rising
- Grand Rapids Christian Schools
Find an Internship
- Search the Career Center database on Handshake to find internship openings in your field. The Career Center also provides helpful guidance on creating a resume and preparing for an interview.
- Consider finding a communication-related internship during an off-campus semester in Washington, D.C., Chicago or Los Angeles.