Communicating the Christian perspective
Katelyn Beaty ’06
Bringing about positive change
Koheun Lee ’11
Young, Alone, Homeless
Alumna documentarian turns her lens to the devastating subject of teen homelessness
Dressing up Anna and Elsa
Rose Ibiama ’05
Help for the Alzheimer’s family
Benjamin Mast ’95
Reitsma Paul Mpindi ('17)
- After finishing his time at Calvin studying Organizational Communication and Business, Reitsma Paul Mpindi moved to Washington, District of Columbia to start a career in the field of public relations.
Chris Curia ('17)
- Read about Chris Curia's unique experience at Calvin getting to be part of creating the feature length documentary Jubileo - A Parable of Christian Fellowship as a student, and how storytelling influences his work now.
Isabel Marek ('17)
- My advice would be not to sell yourself short. When I was first applying for an internship at Liberty Mutual, it felt like my chances of getting an internship at a Fortune 100 company were very slim, especially since I was coming from a small liberal arts college. But people would be shocked with how valuable a Calvin education really is.
Megan Schroder ('16)
- "Meet Megan Schroder, a strategic communication major from the class of 2016. She pursued her own idea of a great internship that filled a need in the Grand Rapids Christian Schools."
Holly DeJong ('16)
- Holly DeJong ‘16 wasn’t sure exactly which direction to take her Strategic Communication degree. So she dove head first into networking with Calvin alumni in the Washington DC area and landed a job at PBS
Dara Veenstra ('15)
- Dara Veenstra graduated from Calvin in 2015 with a degree in Communication and Media Production. After working as an account manager at Bradley Productions following graduation, Dara now works as an account manager at StratEx in Chicago.
John DeVries ('15)
- Meet Jon DeVries, a theater and business double major, who took a step into the unknown when he accepted the position of Artistic Operations Intern at the Glimmerglass Festival in Cooperstown, NY, the second largest summer opera festival in the country.
Lori Dykstra ('15)
- "Lori Dykstra works at the Marketing Assistant at Open Sky Wilderness Therapy in Colorado. Read about how her love of writing and variety of passions led her to this position!"
Ally Kruis ('15)
- "Ally Kruis ‘15 has been able to apply her interests in business and communication in a number of capacities. From working as a Project Coordinator at 8THIRTYFOUR Integrated Communications, to serving as the Communications Manager at Catholic Central High School, to her role now as a Communications Advisor at Acosta; hear from Ally about her experience and her advice for students:"
Ojone Ameadaji ('15)
- "Ojone Ameadaji graduated in 2015 with a Strategic Communication major and a Business minor. She is now a law student at the University of Iowa, building on the education she received at Calvin."
Erica Dekker ('15)
- "Someday you may have to go through the process of enrolling in employee benefits. Erica Dekker '15, Communications Specialist at Acrisure Benefits Group, uses her Strategic Communication degree to convey the options and process in the smoothest way possible for you and your employer"
Rachel Ponstein ('15)
- "Rachel Ponstein ‘15 found Calvin's Organizational Communication major to be the perfect foundation for growing her business, Rachel Gabrielse Photography. From teaching best practices in social media to lessons on how to market your own business, the Org. Comm. major covers it all."
Kara Venema ('15)
- "How often do you meet someone who studied both Biology and Strategic Communication? Here's your chance to meet Kara Venema '15, a student who did just that."
Laura Sterenberg ('15)
- "Meet Laura Sterenberg ’15, a recent grad who is using her Strategic Communication degree to work toward enriching and progressing communication at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids."
Stephen Norregaard ('15)
- "With a Strategic Communication degree, Stephen Norregaard '15 found the perfect way to align studies with his passion. He now has a booming career as a wedding and commercial photographer."
Kayla Vandebunte ('15)
- "Kayla VandeBunte '15, a strategic communication major, thinks about the ice cream industry on a daily basis in her job as Marketing Coordinator at National Flavors. They create flavors and yes, she gets to test them!"
Daniel Vandebunte ('15)
- "Daniel VandeBunte ’15 daily integrates faith with his career as an audio visual specialist at Valley Family Church (VFC) in Kalamazoo, MI. As a media productions major and music minor, Calvin provided him with many formative experiences and mentors along his journey."
Christian Becker ('15)
- "After graduating from Calvin with a degree in film and media production, Christian Becker '15 returned home to the East Coast and dove into the world of television. Check out what he's doing as a page for CBS."
Erik Newhouse ('15)
- "Meet Erik Newhouse, the face of Calvin to high school students in Southeast Michigan. As a Calvin College Admissions counselor, his job relies on effective communication. Let's see how his CAS experience has equipped him!"
Angelyn Kuiper ('14)
- “There are a hundred different things that you could end up doing with a degree in communications, and I really love that.”
Ross Venhuizen ('14)
- "Ross Venhuizen '14 graduated with degrees in business marketing and strategic communication. He started working in marketing following graduation from Calvin and has since come to realize the ways a CAS degree can prepare you in many ways for a career in business."
Christina Weller ('13)
- "If I could describe what I do in one word, it’s communication.” In Christina Weller’s job as a Project Manager for Amway World Headquarters, communication plays a vital role in her day-to-day work.
Nathanael Bell ('13)
- "Nathanael didn’t always know 100% what he wanted to do after graduation, but found that the experiences and connections a CAS degree provides prepare you well for whatever is next."
Elyse Riemersma ('13)
- "After several internships, the Chicago Semester and a Strategic Communication degree, Elyse decided to pursue event planning as a career. She is now the lead planner and event manager at Posh Petals in Grand Rapids."
Amanda Elliott ('12)
- "Amanda Elliott '12 graduated with a degree in Organizational Communication and a determination to make her own way as a marketing consultant and blogger in Chicago."
Bradley Jansen ('11)
- Although employment opportunities for recent graduates can be hard to come by, Calvin grad Brad Jansen ('11) is all smiles. Why? "No matter what, people will always get married."
Joe Sonheim ('11)
- After graduation, Sonheim experienced a period of trial and error. He began as a waiter. Although he loved the relational aspect of being a waiter, he wanted to do more. This led him to start his own film production business.
Heidi Sundstrom ('11)
- Graduating with Communication and German majors and a Spanish minor, Heidi has already been able to put her Calvin degree to work.
Jon Tilton ('11)
- Jon used the marketing and communication skills he had learned through the CAS department to skip the traditional step of applying for a job by submitting a paper resume.
Amanda Greenhoe ('10)
- "Currently an intern at The Grand Rapids Press and a freelancer for Grand Rapids Bride magazine, Greenhoe finds her Calvin education useful in her various positions."
Jess Grow ('10)
- Jess Grow knew she wanted to be an event planner. But just in case she changed her career choice, she wanted a major that would allow her different options.
Andy Allen ('09)
- Impressing an audience is what Andy Allen loves to do, and this is exactly the skill he perfected while attending Calvin College.
Tim Katt ('09)
- "Tim Katt '09 was a Media Production major at the time when it was first created. Think about how media and communications have changed in the past eight years and then read on to see how his education has helped him thrive through those changes."
Katie Landan ('09)
- Katie Landan, a 2009 Calvin alum, has followed an exciting career path from Chicago and New York all the way to LA.
Abby Zwier ('09)
- When it came time to choose her major, Abby ultimately decided that a versatile CAS degree would open doors and lead to countless opportunities. Abby's degree has done just that.
Lorien Reese ('06)
- "Calvin was the kind of school that allowed me to grow as an individual...I really feel like I came out a more knowledgeable human being, and not just a better actress."