Chemistry Demo Field Trips
Enhance chemistry education with Your students! Make chemistry come alive to your fifth and sixth grade students through a series of highly visual chemical demonstrations at this exciting program.
Faculty members from the chemistry and biochemistry department, under the leadership of Professor Larry Louters, engage students in several chemical experiments and explain the science behind the demonstrations at a level that upper elementary students understand. Our program offers a great opportunity to blend your classroom chemistry curriculum with a visual translation of these chemical concepts.
Professor Louters is one of Calvin's most-beloved professors and presented at Calvin's high-profile January Series with the talk "Demonstrating the Wonders of Chemistry: Discovering God's Majesty in the Minuscule". Professor Louters earned Calvin's Professor of the Year and the Presidential Award for Exemplary Teaching. He was also recognized as one of The Princeton Review Best 300 Professors. His love for the field of chemistry is passed on to the upcoming generations of scientists and scholars through the "Chem Demos" program.
This dynamic 75-minute program is free and is offered for ten sessions in May in the Gezon Auditorium at Calvin College. All local school groups and the home school community are invited and encouraged to attend.
Student Comments on our Program
"The experiments you did for us were amazing!"
"I really liked it when you set the rag and methane bubbles on fire. That was the best field trip of the year!"
"I'm really into chemistry now!"
"My friends and I had a great time with the exploding balloons, glowing tubes, and fire."
"My favorite part was when you turned the fire all different colors."
"Thank you for letting me go on stage; the whole thing was cool!"
"I didn't know that things can burn but not REALLY be burned because of how chemistry works..."
Presentation Dates—Spring 2019
- Session A: 5/13/19, 10:00–11:15 a.m.
- Session B: 5/13/19, 12:30–1:45 p.m.
- Session C: 5/14/19, 10:00–11:15 a.m.
- Session D: 5/14/19, 12:30–1:45 p.m.
- Session E: 5/15/19, 10:00–11:15 a.m.
- Session F: 5/15/19, 12:30–1:45 p.m.
- Session G: 5/16/19, 10:00–11:15 a.m.
- Session H: 5/16/19, 12:30–1:45 p.m.
- Session I: 5/17/19, 10:00–11:45 a.m.
- Session J: 5/17/19, 12:30–1:45 p.m.
Register Your Class To Attend!
Registration will be opened on Monday, April 8, 2019, for school groups and other community groups. This date marks the earliest time a group may register their students to attend a presentation.
The registration form can be found via www.eventbrite.com. Please follow the steps below to ensure proper registration:
- Visit www.eventbrite.com. Once on the site, type "Calvin College Chem Demo 2019" in the search bar.
- After searching "Calvin College Chem Demo 2019", view the times and dates of the presentations. Select a presentation to attend.
- Once a presentation has been selected, enter the number of tickets needed. (NOTE—a maximum of 100 tickets is allowed per transaction. If more tickets are needed to accommodate your students, please repeat the registration process again, and request the number of tickets still needed.) Click the green "CHECKOUT" button after you have selected the number of tickets needed.
- Be sure to fill out ALL fields in the registration form. You will receive a confirmation message via email from EventBrite once your registration has been received.
Please note that registrations will be accepted online ONLY. No registrations will be accepted via email or phone. If you are planning a trip to a presentation for multiple schools, please be sure to register each school individually in order to properly account for all visiting schools.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Engineering (BSE)
- Environmental Sciences
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #1 college in the Midwest.