Careers & Outcomes
Chemists explore and manipulate the chemical elements to uncover the splendor of the created order and to develop uses for this new knowledge. The study of chemistry allows you to view the world in a profound new way and empowers you to significantly change it.
Is a career in chemistry or biochemistry for you?
- Do you want to understand the material world around you?
- Are you fascinated by the molecular complexity of living organisms?
- Can you envision tailoring materials down to the very atoms and molecules?
- Have you ever tried to make something that has never been made before?
- Can you inspire a new generation of chemists through teaching?
- Do you want to make a difference in the fight against disease?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then a career in chemistry or biochemistry may be the right calling for you.
Careers in chemistry & biochemistry
Countless vocations are open to chemistry and biochemistry majors, both working directly in the field of chemistry and working at the intersections of chemistry with other fields such as medicine, law, engineering, business, and education.
The links below provide a detailed look at several career paths that a degree in chemistry and biochemistry opens up for you.
Pre-medicine and other pre-professional health options
A chemistry or biochemistry major can form an excellent foundation for a career in many health-related fields, and many chemistry and biochemistry majors choose to join one of Calvin's pre-professional health programs. Calvin's pre-medicine, pre-pharmacy, and other pre-professsional health programs can be excellent options for chemistry and biochemistry students. A faculty advisor can help you consider your career goals, and whether a pre-professional health program is a good path for you.
Some careers to consider
- Technical writer
- Chemical information specialist
- Research assistant
- Textile chemist
- Chemical engineer
- Electronics engineer (solid state chemistry)
- Environmental inspector
- Food scientist/technologist
- Forensic chemist
- Genetic engineer
- Materials chemist
- Medical technologist
- Natural resource manager
- Pharmaceutical chemist
- Polymer chemist
- Water purification chemist
Get started at the Career Center.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.