The biology department has 20 labs equipped with typical teaching and research equipment. In addition to this, Calvin's biology department has received funding to purchase advanced and specialized equipment, which at large universities is usually reserved for faculty and graduate students. Here at Calvin, undergraduate students use this technology for research projects and classroom work.
- We keep a variety of tropical fish and amphibians in fresh water aquariums.
Atmosphere Control Glovebox
Boat, truck and trailer
- Allows cells to be grown in culture by emulating a cell’s normal environment in an organism.
Cell 3D Imaging System (Zeiss Apotome)
Computerized Physiology Monitoring Equipment
Embryonic Viability Detector
- Measures fluorescently labeled structures in or on cells. Can be applied to identify leukemia cells or the amount of DNA in individual cells.
Fluidigm BioMark HD
- Used for high-throughput quantitative PCR and genotyping.
- Measuring fluorescently tagged structures in cells and tissues
Image Documentation System
- Used for digitizing images for permanently recording laboratory data.
- Used for viewing living cells growing in culture. Can be used for viewing living cells growing in culture and observing cellular responses to infection.
- Used for sequencing the genomes of bacteria and bacteriophages (both cultured and uncultured). Sequencing mRNA from a variety of sources.
Odyssey Li-Cor Scanner
- Infrared imaging system used to scan gels.
Portable Photosynthesis System
- Used to measure leaf fluorescence and gas exchange rates (CO2 and H2O) between plant leaves or insects and the atmosphere.
Remote sound production device
- These units are used to playback pre-recorded birds songs and other types of noise in remote forest locations in order to monitor the resulting changes in bird behavior. Designed in house by Chuck Holwerda in the electronics shop and Phil Jasperse in the metal and wood shop.
Super Speed Centrifuge and Rotors
- Separates structures by rotation at ultra high speed (80,000 rpm, 605,000 x g), an ultra high-speed refrigerated centrifuge
Synergy Microplate Reader
- Used for measuring absorbance, fluorescence of luminescence of indicator compounds in cellular/biochemical reactions.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.