Learn art, do art, live art
The very best way to learn about art, art history, and architecture is by actually doing art or experiencing art history outside of a classroom environment. As a student in the art and art history department, you have countless opportunities to make connections between the classroom and the real world.
Art and art history students frequently partner with the West Michigan community in various art projects both in and out of the classroom.
- Art education students assist and teach in classrooms and at various art workshops around the community.
- Other students find opportunities to use their drawing, painting, and other skills for organizations and individuals interested in art.
Get supervised practical experience in a career field that interests you. You may also receive course credit for your work and, in some cases, find your way into a great job. Internships in the past have included positions in museums, architectural firms, and artists' studios.
If you would like to find an art, art history, or architecture-related internship, consult your academic advisor. Start looking for available internships at the Career Center.
Work in the art department
Each semester the art and art history department employs students in various positions. Paid work includes gallery, studio, photo lab, studio, and office assistants.
Contact department assistant Betty Sanderson for job postings.
Join the Artist Collaborative
The Artist Collaborative is a two-year program for incoming students who want to stretch their skills and creativity. It involves collaborative art projects, an interim trip to an arts destination in the U.S. or abroad, and more. Learn more about the program and application process.
Explore outside opportunities
- Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park
- Urban Institute for Contemporary Art
- College Art Association
- American Institute of Architects
- Christians in Visual Art
- Grand Rapids Gallery Association
Join a student organization
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Engineering (BSE)
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.