Learn art, do art, live art
The very best way to learn about art, art history, and graphic design is to immerse yourself in intentional creative practices both inside and outside the classroom. As a student in the art and graphic design program, you have countless opportunities to make connections between the classroom and the real world.
Starting to think about your career while you are still in college prepares you to hit the ground running when you graduate. While pursuing art at Calvin you will have opportunities such as pursuing valuable internships both on and off campus. You can even apply to receive course credit for your work. in some cases, find your way into a great job. Internships in the past have included positions in museums, design firms, architectural firms, corporate businesses, and artists' studios.
If you would like to find an art, graphic design, art history, or architecture-related internship, consult your academic advisor. Start looking for available internships at the Career Center.
Work in the art program
Students are employed each year in resume-building positions, such as gallery attendant, teaching assistant, and studio technician.
Contact program assistant Betty Sanderson for job postings.
Join the Artist Collaborative
The Artist Collaborative is a two-year program for incoming students who want to stretch their skills and creativity. It involves collaborative art projects, an interim trip to an arts destination in the U.S. or abroad, and more. Learn more about the program and application process.
Explore outside opportunities
- Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park
- Urban Institute for Contemporary Art
- College Art Association
- American Institute of Architects
- Christians in Visual Art
- Grand Rapids Gallery Association
Join a Student Organization
- Student Video Productions: Student Video Productions seeks to facilitate learning and creativity in the area of the video arts. Through campus-led projects, members gain video production experience with on-campus clients and participate in events such as film festivals and campus-wide productions.
- Visual Arts Guild: The Visual Arts Guild is focused on the production and dialogue of historical and contemporary art and ideas.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.