Careers & Outcomes
Art and graphic design students at Calvin go on to pursue numerous career paths beyond formal studio art. Art at Calvin fosters students to develop a creative practice that thoughtfully and intentionally approaches solutions. Students consider how their craft can make a difference in careers like business, healthcare, education, and more. You'll graduate with the confidence to shape a better world through your artistic voice.
Planning for your career
Starting to think about your career while you are still in college prepares you to hit the ground running when you graduate. While pursuing art at Calvin you will have opportunities such as pursuing valuable internships both on and off campus.
Get started at the Career Center.
The role of your advisor
Your advisor has a wealth of knowledge and experience in the field of art and graphic design. He or she will be an excellent resource as you plan your future career—connecting you with the right program, art-related opportunities, and professional contacts. Meet the art and art history faculty.
Expand your knowledge and experience
The art and graphic design program at Calvin provides opportunities to gain real-world experience.
- Take part in various art exhibition development and installation opportunities
- Find off-campus internships throughout the year
- Pursue resume-building positions, such as gallery attendant, teaching assistant, and studio technician.
Consider graduate study
Pursuing graduate studies is a great way to continue deepening your knowledge and creative practice. Consult your advisor for more information.
Get to know the right people
Even while you're an undergraduate student, expanding your network of contacts within your target career field will help you make your way after graduation. A few ideas on how to build a professional network:
- Get to know your professors—with their years of experience, they know many people in their fields that may be able to help establish your career
- Attend exhibitions, lectures, and participate in art exhibitions
- Become involved in student organizations to start developing relationships with your future colleagues
- Do an off-campus internship with a local organization like the Grand Rapids Art Museum, UICA, or Meijer Gardens and keep in contact with those you work with there
- Work with a professor on a collaborative project
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.