A language is a way of life, a way of looking at the world. Learn to communicate with our Spanish-speaking neighbors near and far by engaging Spanish language and culture.
Calvin's Spanish program is unique in that it is faith-driven and hands-on. A Spanish degree at Calvin means you'll be doing more than sitting through a lecture, it means getting involved, serving the community and traveling the world. All Spanish majors and minors are required to participate in at least one study abroad experience. And because our classes are small, you'll receive more personal attention from your professors.
Careers in Spanish
- Health Care
- Governmental/Non-Governmental agencies
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
Attend weekly Spanish Chapels; practice your conversational repertoire in conversation groups; live in the on-campus Spanish house; study abroad in Spain, Peru or Honduras; connect with Hispanics in the local community through ESL classes, after-school programs, business organizations, and health clinics.
Dollar amounts reflect awards given for the 2014-15 academic year.
- Elsa Cortina Scholarship
- award amount: $1,600
- sophomore, junior, or senior
- GPA of 2.50+
- financial need is required; Spanish major or minor; accepted into the Semester in Spain program
- applications are closed for the 2015-2016 year
- Edna Greenway Scholarship
- Alan and Jan Pauw Family Scholarship
- award amount: $2,500
- junior or senior
- GPA of 3.00+
- financial need is considered; history, philosophy or a foreign language major; preference is given to those minoring in other liberal arts areas
- apply through the Calvin Portal
Talk to us
Interested in teaching? You can gain certification in Spanish as a:
- Bilingual spanish Minor to teach at the Elementary, secondary level - see program requirements
- Spanish Major to teach at the Elementary, secondary level - see program requirements
- Spanish Minor to teach at the Elementary, secondary level - see program requirements
Calvin's teacher education program also contains education-specific course requirements that you must complete prior to certification. See course requirements for:
Professor Robert Keeley talks about the education program.
Contact Marcie Pyper for more information about teacher certification in Bilingual Spanish
Read the teacher education guidebook for more detailed information about certification.